Build Thread Project Jeep-Saw-Puzzle (cj2a build/restoration)

Build Thread Project Jeep-Saw-Puzzle (cj2a build/restoration)
Looks more like bubble gum than weld.:eek:
Hows all your steering linkage? Is any of that stuff still avail if needed? I know when I get around to doing my 3B it's gona need some help, they have alot of moving parts.

Looks more like bubble gum than weld.:eek:
Hows all your steering linkage? Is any of that stuff still avail if needed? I know when I get around to doing my 3B it's gona need some help, they have alot of moving parts.

Ya theres more "welds" like that on it that need fixing. As for the steering, i need to set it all up and check it. when you get to it on your 3b send me a message and i will let you know. if i dont use it and its still usable its yours :D

man its going to look great. don't ever sell it you'll wind up one them old men who say "well my first jeep was a CJ2a i wished i still had that thing it was great, shoulda never sold it"

Sad to say...that is me right there! :laugh:

I will be building my 47 when I get home. I would love to see an update.

Nice job so far. At this point you might think about 11 inch drum brakes. It is an easy swap and well worth the time and effort. They will boldt right on. The standard 8 and a half inch brakes will get you into trouble eventually. The older jeep pickups came with 11 inch drum brakes. An easy find. You're going to be under powered with the F134 Hurricane . I went with the L134 "Go Devil" and eventually swithed to the 4.3 vortec v6. The sm465 is a great improvement, especially if it has the 6.55 to 1 granny. The 538 gears are great in the differentials when you are offroadin g but a pain on the street. Is the bull gear in the DANA 18 a 26 or 29 tooth? Check it out and find a used WARN Overdrive on EBAY and boldt it to the back of the Transfer Case . This will make a huge differfence when you are on the road. I just finished a M38A1/CJ5 build. I put a CJ5 tub and front wrap on an M38a1 frame. 4.3 v6, SM465 tranny, Dana 27 & 44 locked with detroits, WARN 26 tooth Overdrive and the list goes on. If I can be of help just ask. It is a lot cheaper to do it right the first time. I've gone through several engines, trannys, brakes, fuel tanks and so forth it seems that I can never get it the way I waNT IT. yES THE v6 WILL FIT UNDER THE HOOD SO WILL V8'S. rON

Do you have any pictures to share ron?

I will be building my 47 when I get home. I would love to see an update.

I dont have much for updates, my tent has been slowly filling with other peoples stuff so progress has been minimal. But im moving to a new house on the 22nd and as soon as my workshop and tent are all set up i will "hit the ground running" on this project. I started a new job in October and my only expense is insurance so i got money and time to spend with the jeep

Last edited:
Nice job so far. At this point you might think about 11 inch drum brakes. It is an easy swap and well worth the time and effort. They will boldt right on. The standard 8 and a half inch brakes will get you into trouble eventually. The older jeep pickups came with 11 inch drum brakes. An easy find. You're going to be under powered with the F134 Hurricane . I went with the L134 "Go Devil" and eventually swithed to the 4.3 vortec v6. The sm465 is a great improvement, especially if it has the 6.55 to 1 granny. The 538 gears are great in the differentials when you are offroadin g but a pain on the street. Is the bull gear in the DANA 18 a 26 or 29 tooth? Check it out and find a used WARN Overdrive on EBAY and boldt it to the back of the Transfer Case . This will make a huge differfence when you are on the road. I just finished a M38A1/CJ5 build. I put a CJ5 tub and front wrap on an M38a1 frame. 4.3 v6, SM465 tranny, Dana 27 & 44 locked with detroits, WARN 26 tooth Overdrive and the list goes on. If I can be of help just ask. It is a lot cheaper to do it right the first time. I've gone through several engines, trannys, brakes, fuel tanks and so forth it seems that I can never get it the way I waNT IT. yES THE v6 WILL FIT UNDER THE HOOD SO WILL V8'S. rON

Thanks Ron. Thats some food for thought you just gave me. I have spent many hours reading and talking about this project and others who have done similar and its great to hear your opinion. The jeep probably wont be driven on the street alot other than the local car show, and just showing it off and taking the family and friends for a cruse. I do plan to use it but i got a grocery getter (XJ) to drive around town. It definitely wont ever see a trailer but i think the stock drive train will work great for what i have in mind. If i was older and more experienced i would have used the V6 or a v8 but im still learning i started this when i was 16 and got in over my head fast with modifications. I will continue to retore it to original if i decide i need a v6 i will go grab another one from a local feild i know of and start over.

As for brakes, the ones i got now ar almost new so i will use them, when there done i have a set of 10 inch, and 11 inch brakes. i also have been reading into the disk break swap but i got time for that.

i would love to get my hands on an Overdrive , but thats an extra and will only come if i get lucky and one lands in my lap.

Travis

Travis;
Take all of the time you need to do the build. It has taken me five years to build mine. Approximately 80% of the build has come off of ebay or Craigslist at a fraction of the cost. If you wait and watch long enough you will eventually find what you need at a give away price. My neighbor has a 1942 MB that is tricked to the max. He also has a 1964 CJ5 with a Corvette 327 in it that he takes to the dunes. We are both into the old jeeps. Between the two of us we have parts galore, two of everything. If parts become a problem email me, we are not into money just helping jeepers restore or modify old jeeps. I finally figured out how to post a thumbnail pic to my posting. Take a look!! As you can tell, I'm a pretty poor photographer but If you look close you can make out the jeep. The mod I did was extensive. I had to move the front differential four inches forward in order to get the CJ body to fit properly on the M38A1 frame. Not to mention the engine and tranny swap. She doesn't look like much but under the hood and body is a machine that has a lot to offer. Just remember the fun isn't in the finished product, it is in the build and sense of accomplishment one get from the homework and effort one put into the project. I wish you the best!! P.S. once I finish my trailer, I too will purchase a flat fender and begin all over again that is if my wife dosen't divorce me first. RON

I know what you mean about the deals that can be found i have found a few myself and met a bunch of great guys and there jeeps. I spend lots of time on craigslist, our local classifieds sections and at auto swap meets. I havnt gotten anything off ebay before because i don't have a credit card and would like to keep it that way.

I apreciate the offer for parts, thats one of the things i love about the jeep community. there are a few guys in our local jeep club who own older jeeps and they all have those extra parts that there willing to share, and there is almost always someone who is willing to lend a hand wrenching for a day. Te only parts i have a hard time finding is the small stuff.

I noticed your in north California, thats not to far south from BC were i live, so if i ever cant find something i may take you up on your offer. Ive been tolled that im not allowed anymore jeeps or my parents say i will have to move out, i suprised they let me bring home the third one a couple weeks ago, so i wont be getting another for a while. althought i may get enough parts to build a few more.

Travis

Travis;
Guess what! I just bought a 1947 CJ2a that is running for $500. Santa came late this year. Pictures of it ar e on members gallery under Ron Ferrando. Take a look. I have already started tearing mine down. Together we will try to keep a bit of U.S. history alive. Ron

http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/4/1/0/7/008.jpg Travis;
Guess what! I just bought a 1947 CJ2a that is running for $500. Santa came late this year. Pictures of it are on members gallery under Ron Ferrando. Take a look. I have already started tearing mine down. Together we will try to keep a bit of U.S. history alive. Ronhttp://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/4/1/0/7/001.jpg

hey ron congratz on the "new" jeep :chug:

it looks like you got your self a nice little project there and it runs so you got a great deal. What are your plans for it? If you start a build thread let me know so i can keep myself updated on your progress.

I think i hijacked my own thread but its mine so i can do what ever i want :D

Re: My CJ2a

Travis;
I am starting my CJ2a build this weekend. First, I will get the jeep running up and down the road. Then., I will take the tub and front wrap off of the jeep. I plan to pull the engine and running gear off of the frame and begin my frame off restoration to the jeep. I too will keep mine stock. I already have a crawler and I built it just the way I want it. The 4.3 V6 is modified and put out just under 300 H.P. I have more cubic inches than a 283 chevy and a lot less weights. The jeep is a dream to drive, especially in the dirt with 538's and a SM 465 tranny with a 6:55 to 1 first gear. Not to mention that I can split every gear with my WARN Overdrive . That gives me 24 forward gears and 6 reverse gears. What a set up!!~! Pics to follow soon of the 47 rebuild. RON:chug:

Travis;
How is the build going? I'm running into snags. I need a starter, it took a dump! The clutch and pressure plate won't disengage and the list goes on and on. I plan to completely strip down the CJ2a to the bare frame like you did and start from scratch. It's amazing how the $500 jeep can instantly turn into the $1,000 jeep and the work has only just begun. The problem with restorations is that once you finish a project to your expectations. One immediately starts looking for another project to take on. I love my M38A1/CJ5 and the CJ2a is a project in motion that keeps me busy. I love your photos and attention to detail. Keep up the excellent work and keep me posted. I will post new pictures to my MEMBERS GALLERY..RON FERRANDO this weekend. It will give you some idea of where I am at with my project. Keep in touch... RON:)

The builds still the same, im moving on saturday and plan to have my "tent" empty of everyone elses stuff, by the 30th, so i will be able to work on it. Ill be moving all the small stuff inside were its warm so i will get lots of little stuff done. I also plan to get the front end mounted so i can move it to the new house (which is actually just across the street from where the jeep currently is at my grandparents house), although i just remembered that i need some new front springs to do that :(

Thanks for you good comments, i take lots of pictures as i go along it makes me feel better about the small things i get done. i have lots more pictures so if you want to see more let me know.

I sure dont plan on getting another project anytime soon. im realyl hoping that i wont have to sell this one when its done. I wont always have a place to keep it since im jsut starting my life and other stuff gets in the way.

Travis

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom