Quadra Trac w/TH400

Quadra Trac w/TH400

Slik 76

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5, lifted, 35s, 4spd, chevy 350, fiberglass tub.

1979 CJ-7, POS! Just got it, stock 304, TH400, Quadra Trac
Newbie, having a hard time navigating the forum. Can one of you send me some links to old threads on the Quadra Trac. I am learning as I go. Also, if any of you are in Louisiana, I am looking for a reputable shop to assist with an overhaul of the Transfer Case . Thanks

When you are on Jeep-CJ.com look to the upper right corner. There you will find a search box. Type QuadraTrac and add any other words such as rebuild. Then press the Search button.
Click here for a general info page on the QuadraTrac : http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/transfer-cases-12108/#post97071

Also if you click on the link above that says "Forums" that's a good way to just browse our forms.

Let me take a minute to explain the difference between a thread and a post.

A thread is a topic someone may post, such as a question, "How can I get my Jeep started?"

A post is someone's reply such as "Try charging up your battery". Lots of people may post replies to a thread.

At the bottom of every thread is a button that says "Post Reply". If you see someone has a thread you might want to answer to, or add to, press the button to "Post Reply".

To post a new thread pressed the "New Thread" button at the top of a forum.

Lastly a forum is a whole group of similar threads. We have a forum called Drivetrain. Here someone might start a thread asking about a problem with his Transmission . Someone else may start a thread showing how he upgraded his axle.

:chug:

Edited by CJ

The switch/solenoid electrical thingamagig on the driver's side of the GM Turbo 400 , is that the downshift switch or is that just a reverse light switch? If it is for the downshift, what effect will it have on the tranny if t is disconnected?

The switch/solenoid electrical thingamagig on the driver's side of the GM Turbo 400 , is that the downshift switch or is that just a reverse light switch? If it is for the downshift, what effect will it have on the tranny if t is disconnected?

Yes, that thingamagig is the kickdown solenoid. If you floor it that will tell your Transmission to downshift. If it is disconnected your jeep will be sluggish because you will be trying to accelerate from high gear.

aaahh. Makes sense. So under the dash by the gas pedal, there is another thingamagig that the pedal hits when you floor it. That is the switch? Does it need adjustment? Mine seems like it barely hits it. This jeep is a pile of coat hangers.

Yes, make sure the top of the pedal arm presses that switch.
3d1235528523-kickdown-switch-th400-detent-switch-1.jpg
P1000435.jpg

Thanks! I have an unrelated question, but rather than start a new thread...when I turn the key to start the jeep, the key does not spring back so the starter stays engaged. I need to manually turn it back one click. Is the spring mechanism in the key cylinder? or in the ignition module? or somewhere in between?

Thanks! I have an unrelated question, but rather than start a new thread...when I turn the key to start the jeep, the key does not spring back so the starter stays engaged. I need to manually turn it back one click. Is the spring mechanism in the key cylinder? or in the ignition module? or somewhere in between?

I believe that will be in the ignition switch itself... (key cylinder) It should want to go back. If it doesn't, try to spray some key lube (like graphite maybe??) into the lock cylinder and work the key back and forth aggressively (disconnect the battery positive so your not starting the jeep / jamming the starter.:cool:)

You may be ok with wd-40.. but i think there is a special "stuff" for the lock and keys...

Point is, try to clean it out a ways. It might just be "gumming up" if there is NO RESISTANCE at all when you try turning the key to start from on, then probably need to replace the ignition lock.

(you may need to scrach all that... just remembered your key might be in the column not the dash... little more complicated... That may actually have a spring in it... :confused::confused:)

~ Jr

When you are on Jeep-CJ.com look to the upper right corner. There you will find a search box. Type QuadraTrac and add any other words such as rebuild. Then press the Search button.
Click here for a general info page on the QuadraTrac : http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/transfer-cases-12108/#post97071

Also if you click on the link above that says "Forums" that's a good way to just browse our forms.

another helpful tip:

If you get to a thhread (from searching or reading one) that is close to what you are looking for, or you still want more information, look at the very bottom of the page (scroll down) you will see a box that says "Similar threads"

attachment.php

Click one of these to go to another thread... Has proven helpful to me in the past.

~ Jr

Ok. The key cylinder is on the column. I will ry the lube, but i suspect something more sinister.

I believe that will be in the ignition switch itself... (key cylinder) It should want to go back. If it doesn't, try to spray some key lube (like graphite maybe??) into the lock cylinder and work the key back and forth aggressively (disconnect the battery positive so your not starting the jeep / jamming the starter.:cool:)
~ Jr
Yes, use graphite so it won't attract more dirt and dust. Problem is it's hard to get graphite (or any other lubricant) into the important parts when it's all together.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom