Question about electric fan on 258 in-line 6 cyl.

Question about electric fan on 258 in-line 6 cyl.

dvandebrake

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1995 Toyota T100 (awesome veh.)

1986 jeep cj7 with in-line 6 cyl. 258 5-speed manual trans.
Hi,

My Jeep is running a little hotter than normal. It has an electric fan on outside of radiator with shroud. Now I noticed the fan is blowing air out away from engine is this the way the fan is supposed to run. My thinking is the air flow should be drawing the cool air through radiator not drawing hot air from engine through rad.???? Just need info on proper air direction.

Thank You

No. It should blow air to the rear.
Either the fan is mounted wrong or it's wired wrong. With a DC motor it will turn backwards if it is wired backwards.

Edit: "outside of radiator"? ? That's the problem. I didn't notice that the first time I read that. That fan should be on the inside.

Last edited:
Your right the fan should be drawing outside air through the rad. and blowing air past the motor to help cool it.
Why is it mounted to the outside? do you still have the stock fan on the motor?

have you got pictures of the fan?? it isn't stock , for sure. I am betting that the reason it is in front of the radiator is because to won't fit on the engine side.
the fan should blow into the engine compartment and reversing the wires will reverse the direction but it does not change the design of the fan, some will work in both directions and some will not. I would like to see the shroud.

yes pics please. your electric fan should be mounted in the engine compartment and pull air from outside.
IMG_0138.jpg

I thought that was strange. I think another problem is the fan only covers about 1/2 of radiator. Have read on other posts to small of a fan will not cool properly? The factory fan has been removed along with shroud. As far as the shroud on electric fan, just a fan out of box with shroud? Have reversed the wiring and it is flowing in the right direction now. Have not test ran yet.

Thanks for all Info!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom