question regarding rear end whining noise

question regarding rear end whining noise
Since hurricane Irene is comin right for me im going to wait til next week and bring it to another mechanic and c what is going on and hopefully b able to fix it without a ton of money being spent....

If the rear is the 2 peice AMC20 i cant remember but i think that axle shims on that side and if it does and they forgot to shim it back that could cause stress on the bearing and the ring and pinion the amc 20s im used too and im not sure if there all the same but if they are the bearing would be packed with grease and not use the dif oil and if the person that replaced the hub and bearing assembly didnt pack the bearing and left the inside seal out you could be experiencing a bearing failure because the type of bearing it uses looks simialar to a bearing you would find in a front hub with a race and it is a conical bearing and if it starts to fail it can lock the wheels up from friction and the noise or whine you could be hearing might be the bearing grease starved just a thought. Because my 81 cj5s axle was like that when i pulled the axle assembly out and the bearing was worn down excessively.

If the rear is the 2 peice AMC20 i cant remember but i think that axle shims on that side and if it does and they forgot to shim it back that could cause stress on the bearing and the ring and pinion the amc 20s im used too and im not sure if there all the same but if they are the bearing would be packed with grease and not use the dif oil and if the person that replaced the hub and bearing assembly didnt pack the bearing and left the inside seal out you could be experiencing a bearing failure because the type of bearing it uses looks simialar to a bearing you would find in a front hub with a race and it is a conical bearing and if it starts to fail it can lock the wheels up from friction and the noise or whine you could be hearing might be the bearing grease starved just a thought. Because my 81 cj5s axle was like that when i pulled the axle assembly out and the bearing was worn down excessively.
This maybe true but I also know that in some applications a sealed bearing is used and the seal on one side is removed and oiled at a time based intervile. Now I've never took out or replaced the bearing on the axle assmbly I also think that a bearing would or should last longer then 15 or 20 miles. I've acidently done this at work because the parts computer said to use a sealed bearing. After the bearing failed an older and wiser man told me oh yeah this was suppost to be updated, and the process was to be added in the parts section in the computer but never was. Well let me tell you what it is now. It made me feel like a fool, even though I think it wasn't really my fault. :confused:

Last edited:
Hey everyone....I had a mechanic friend of mine crawl under and take a look at the driveshafts and found out that the whole rear axle was loose!! We torques down the bolts that hold the rear end from moving and took it for a ride and it seems to b ok now...I'm mad that the moron mechanic that fixed the axle shaft didn't notice that the whole entire rear end was loose and moving....hopefully all is well

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom