Quick h.e.i. ?

Quick h.e.i. ?

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Do you unplug that motorcraft box on the inner fender when switching to the h.e.i? If I left it connected would it cause the Jeep not to start? Thanx guys in advance

No. The HEI only replaces your stock dizzy and coil.

The box on the fenderwell is the Ignition Control Module. The ICM is the beginning of the chain. ICM to distributor (stock or HEI) and then to the spark plug.

Thats what I had thought also. I was just reading the instructions for the dizzy and it said unplug the control module completely. :confused: I tried it and there was no change anyway. Im gonna start over tomorow. I followed what I read in another thread and didnt find TDC to begin with. Maybe it worked for him but with my luck I shouldnt have taken a shortcut.

I thought whole reason of the "HEI" upgrade was to eliminate the stock Motorcraft ignition module???. I thought the HEI upgraded dizzy came with the module inside the dizzy. I'm glade I didn't do this upgrade yet, I need to do more searches on the subject. Really, still using the motorcraft module??:confused:

The h.e.i. dizzy has the coil mounted in it. The round canister that has the wire going to the cap , thats eliminated. Im thinking the module stays but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone chimes in who did it.

Im thinking maybe I put the hot wire into the tach connection on the cap. I only used one cause I have to lenghten the other. It turns over smooth but doesnt start. Its not like Im off of #1 cause that usually makes it really rough when trying to start it. Seems like maybe theres no power to the coil?? Ideas?

You do away with the stock Ignition box.All you need is a 12v keyed power.
There is no reason to keep the stock ignition box with the HEI

Put 12v right from the battery to see if its getting spark.Unplig the wire if it runs.Then find the keyed source.

I also was under the impression the module was in/ontop of the cap of the HEI. So that's the coil? :confused: Glad I went with the TeamRush upgrade :D

Ok. I'll try this when I get home from work. I will check to make sure I have the wire that used to be on the coil in the batt. positon on the cap first.

Thanx
Put 12v right from the battery to see if its getting spark.Unplig the wire if it runs.Then find the keyed source.

We need a delete the wise <-BAD WORD-> button on here. :laugh: Now wait , forget it , Im not ready to be deleted yet. :D
I Glad I went with the TeamRush upgrade :D

kickin; you should be scolded for changing the subject and not contributing to the solution. The man is obviously having a bit of a problem and we all know how frustrating this kind of thing can be.:rolleyes:

Now, that said, I agree 100% the TFI conversion was a lot easier and produced a much hotter and more dependable spark for less investment of cash and time.:cool:

Here is everything I have on both upgrades, in the hope that there is some thing here that will be of help:chug:

Junk Yard Genius.com 'Stealth HEI Page
HEI or TFI?
TFI ignition upgrade - Jeepz.com
1977 Jeep 232 MotorCraft Distributor Conversion - JeepHammer

On the G.M. style H.E.I. distributors the ignition module is under the rotor inside the distributor. Factory box goes in the trash. I also opened my plug gaps to the recommended .055 and it made a big difference. 50,000 volts kicks <-BAD WORD->!

It was all good ol messin around . No foul. :D If I wouldnt have gotten so frustrated yesterday I probably wouldve had it up and running then. :eek: It took a more delicate hand than I had yesterday. Once I listened and finessed the dizzy she fired up. Thanx to all who contributed. :chug:
kickin; you should be scolded for changing the subject and not contributing to the solution. The man is obviously having a bit of a problem and we all know how frustrating this kind of thing can be.:rolleyes:

Now, that said, I agree 100% the TFI conversion was a lot easier and produced a much hotter and more dependable spark for less investment of cash and time.:cool:

Here is everything I have on both upgrades, in the hope that there is some thing here that will be of help:chug:

Junk Yard Genius.com 'Stealth HEI Page
HEI or TFI?
TFI ignition upgrade - Jeepz.com
1977 Jeep 232 MotorCraft Distributor Conversion - JeepHammer

OK first off let me start by saying there is "nothing" wrong with going either the HEI dizzy or the Teamrush route on any Jeep and is totally up to the Jeeps owner. I was in no way knocking the choice made by the PO but rather that I thought the module was attached to the dizzy (HEI) and yes I went the route I wanted, Not sure where I changed the subject, But that's what's so great about Jeeps...You do to them what you want. No harm no foul, let By gones be by gones, ect,ect.... Oh and IOPort51 great links should be very helpful.

Ok now I see. Im gonna have some pairing down to do to the wiring harness now. Then Im gonna have to re -route alot of vacumm lines and make it look a little cleaner. The dizzy is at a crummy angle though with the advance close to the block. The timing is good , but is there a way to get it set up for a cleaner look?
The module is inside the cap.View attachment 1430in this pic it says "Dyna Mod" .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom