Radio suggestions

Radio suggestions

Jeepeagle

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 304, '94 ZJ 5.2L 4x4 , '04 WJ 4.7L 4x4
Nothing beats driving an old CJ with the top down in the spring or summer, and with all that wind, and sweet engine roar, a radio almost gets in the way. But, I love music, and am having trouble finding a decent radio that doesn't :dung: out when the least bit of moisture is present. I paid just over $100 bucks for a decent Pioneer set up with iPod connect. It was easy to install, sounded cool with a pair of decent 5.25" speakers in the dash, but once it started raining and I drove in some mud on a trail, it started shorting out. Now I can't get it grounded, or something, and even on sunny dry days it won't make any noise. I don't know if it's the radio, or some weird wiring.

All that to say, I'm ready to ditch it and get a marine radio, something waterproof/resistant. Any suggestions? Or, if anyone has any electrical system suggestions about how to ground it, or rewire things, please let me know. I even ran a ground straight to the negative terminal on the batt, but it changed nothing. Thanks.

Center console with stereo mount. Problem goes away. The dash is the worst place for a stereo in this vehicle.

X2:cool:

Center console with stereo mount. Problem goes away. The dash is the worst place for a stereo in this vehicle.

I put this Crutchfield RetroSound 1 in my CJ7 because it was the only thing that would fit the dash without cutting.

x068RETRO1B-f_mt.jpeg

Having said that, the only truly safe and dry spot is in the center console.

Also, you can ground your dash/radio wiring right under the steering column up under the dash. There is some good metal in that column. That area is probably the next driest spot.

Another option is to scrape the paint for silver, drill into that and attach ground, then silicon over sealing the connection. I did that for my amp under the rear seat.

I got 4 new marine rated Polk speakers off of Ebay that were last years model for next to nothing.

It was suggested to me that in addition to a mechanical crimping connection between your wires that you also use a Liquid Tape type product.

mine lasted a while but it was parked on an angle in my parents yard and the windshield leaks on the left side a little bit of course it rained and ran down the dash and into my radio. yes i traced the little wet path across the dash, new windshield gaskets are on the list

I have a Zune, my kids all have I-pods.
When you have teenagers, you understand the need for everyone to have their own.;)

A marine stereo cover like these is what I've been planning to use. I was looking at them on West Marine's site a while back. I also plan to seal up the unit behind the dash with plastic wrap, but I'm a little worried about it running hot with no air circulation. It probably won't get hot enough to hurt it though. I had a pull out stereo in my old CJ, but they don't make them anymore since they invented the detachable face.

you may find the marine cover a bit large for your dash, if you are going to use the original mounting position.:cool:

A marine stereo cover like these is what I've been planning to use. I was looking at them on West Marine's site a while back. I also plan to seal up the unit behind the dash with plastic wrap, but I'm a little worried about it running hot with no air circulation. It probably won't get hot enough to hurt it though. I had a pull out stereo in my old CJ, but they don't make them anymore since they invented the detachable face.

I had a Smittybilt radio console mounted so I could mount a radio in it for security and protection from the elements. Or have you tried a marine rated radio?

I installed a marine grade amp with an AUX input only and use my Zune in the Jeep. The amp is under the cupholders in the center console and the only thing that shows is the plug in for the AUX cable. Mated it with marine grade speakers in the dash and marine grade box speakers velcroed to the rear wheel wells. That way I can pull them off and store them in my lockable storage box if necessary.

Gotta have tunes!:punk:

I like that. The price is right and it comes with 5 1/4" speakers to boot. Pyle used to be good stuff (maybe still is), wonder why so cheap? But will it fit in a Jeep dash, that's the question?

Last edited:
i feel your pain my pioneer crapped out sunday along with the exhaust gasket, when it rains it pours

jeepin since 1976 and on every CJ I have had I cut the top off of a 1 gallon milk jug and slide it in as a cover for the radio....keeps it dry and usable.....

as for the leak, come on guys n gals....its a jeep ....its not supposed to be rust free and perfect

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom