Reading Dif Tag

Reading Dif Tag

chazzone

Jeeper
Thanks
Is there anywhere I can go beside a Chiltons that can help me read axle codes?

I'm going to be doing an axle swap for a friend, and the shop that changed his dif fluid left the tag off.

The front dif has a tag w/ the following numbers:

3 55 610473-4

I assume that this means that it has 3.55 gears. Any help?

Thanks!

-zz

Do you have an idea of what type of diff it is? AMC or Dana? Year and vehicle? Any other info is a start...

Never mind... Found it. It's a ZJ with ABS diff. 'JEEP 30 /181 FR. W/COLL. SPACER 1979-99' and yes -3.55 gears.

Dana part number search for 610473-4 ==>> The Expert - Part Identification for Driveshaft, UJoint, Spicer, Dana, Driveline

attachment.php

Wow! You rock! Yeah, I should have included all the specific info, (don't know what I was thinking) but you nailed it. Thanks!

I'm replacing the rear (D35 w/ disc brakes) Can I find an exploded view online, or do you have one to share?

I have a line on a new rear dif (new old stock), but if you have any suggestions I'd definitely love to read them.

Thanks again,

-zz

Don't have any lines on a new / old diff but someone here might - when they read the thread.

Is this what your looking for for a pic?

attachment.php

Great Dana diff site. -->> http://www.drivetrain.com/dana35.html

As for suggestions, why are you changing it out? In what? What do you plan on doing with the vehicle? There are allot of questions that need to be made to really make a recommendation. If it's just worn out due to an accident or something, I always recommend a direct replacement - easiest...

BTW - I don' have all the pic's... I'm just a good google engineer. :)

Thanks for that. The truck belongs to a friend of mine, and the rear end is starting to make noise. He just bought it, and would like to keep it a while.

I'm putting together a list of options for him. We have a good shop to rebuild the one that's in there, but it's going to take a week or more to do the work, and he doesn't want that much down time. I can do the swap for him in a day.

I have a source for used parts, so we can buy junk, and have it rebuilt, but the cost is pretty comparable to the new-old stock unit I found.

If you can direct me to a source for direct replacement, that'd be great. If the price is reasonable, then that'd be a great option.

Thanks for your help,

I hate to see anyone throw money at something that doesn't need it... So a few more questions if you don't mind. What kind of noise? A whine, a bearing or even just a loud gear noise? Has the rear end ever been rebuilt? A diff that was set with the pinion to shallow or to deep could be the noise problem. But, if you can rebuild a diff you most likely already know about pinion depths and ring gear backlash...

And, just because it is noisy doesn't mean it won't last... I had a NOISY gear that was annoying but was set correctly, good depth and a great grease pattern - I just lived with it...

Now that I think about it, like I said - if you are capable of setting in a dana diff and have the correct tools (not everyone has a case spreader), then you already know all this... I'm just rambling... :) But, a gear change should only take about 4 - 6 hours or so... Why a week?

I don't know of any direct replacement sources, a salvage yard is about the best I can do for you. Someone might have a better suggestion. I have always just rebuilt the ones I had to work on.

I hate to see anyone throw money at something that doesn't need it... So a few more questions if you don't mind. What kind of noise? A whine, a bearing or even just a loud gear noise? Has the rear end ever been rebuilt? A diff that was set with the pinion to shallow or to deep could be the noise problem. But, if you can rebuild a diff you most likely already know about pinion depths and ring gear backlash...

And, just because it is noisy doesn't mean it won't last... I had a NOISY gear that was annoying but was set correctly, good depth and a great grease pattern - I just lived with it...

Now that I think about it, like I said - if you are capable of setting in a dana diff and have the correct tools (not everyone has a case spreader), then you already know all this... I'm just rambling... :) But, a gear change should only take about 4 - 6 hours or so... Why a week?

I don't know of any direct replacement sources, a salvage yard is about the best I can do for you. Someone might have a better suggestion. I have always just rebuilt the ones I had to work on.

I can't set up a rear dif, but I can swap out a complete unit. Indianapolis Rack and Axle is a top notch shop, and they said it would take them 4-5 days for a rebuild. If he decides to rebuild his unit, it will go to them.

I wish I could tell you about the noise, but its not mine, and I haven't ridden in it. It is the original unit however, and has not been rebuilt. A good friend recently bought the truck, and it started to make noise, soon after. He took it to a shop to get it checked, and when they drained the diff, the grease came out as sludge (dont know what they found as far as metal or particulates). They replaced the grease, and it was fine for a short while, but now the noise is back. The shop that did the service told him that he needs a replacement or rebuild.

He asked my opinion, since I grew up turning wrenches, have more than 300k on my truck, and do all my own work. He also knows that I wont take any short cuts, and treat his truck like its mine.

I guess the vehicle had set for quite a while before Rich bought it, and he hasn't put a lot of miles on it. So, with well over 100k miles, I would tend to agree that there is something afoot. The fact that the noise has returned after service, and apparently is getting steadily worse, would also suggest that this wont just go away on its own.

He would like to keep the truck, so we're exploring his options.

If anyone has a line on a direct replacemnet, then give me a holler. This is something he wants done soon, so I'm going to call a stealership tomorrow to see what they want for a new unit, but I expect I'll be wrenching on this next week.

Thanks,

-zz

Ah... Good information. That clears up quite allot. I thought you were the one rebuilding the diff and just using the equipment. Just an FYI. I know you could rebuild it if you had the tools and the patience. They are not difficult, just takes a good bit of thinking and some work. If you are a good wrencher, it is easily accomplished.

Now, as for the replacement diff. I doubt a dealership is even going to have a replacement and I bet the price is :eek::eek::eek:. Let us know what they say... :)

I'm pretty sure you'll be wrenching too. I hope you find one you can swap in though.

Ah... Good information. That clears up quite allot. I thought you were the one rebuilding the diff and just using the equipment. Just an FYI. I know you could rebuild it if you had the tools and the patience. They are not difficult, just takes a good bit of thinking and some work. If you are a good wrencher, it is easily accomplished.

Now, as for the replacement diff. I doubt a dealership is even going to have a replacement and I bet the price is :eek::eek::eek:. Let us know what they say... :)

I'm pretty sure you'll be wrenching too. I hope you find one you can swap in though.

I called a dealer, and no dice. Not a problem, though since I've sourced one that's new/old stock.

I'm sure I could learn to rebuild rear ends, but tis kinda like voodoo, and I have a friend with the "touch", if I ever get in a bind.

I'll let you know how the project turns out.

-zz

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom