Rear Dana 44 leaking Please advise

tonkatrucksryan

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5 w 4.2 258.
2004 TJ Rubi
2011 Toyota Tundra
Well my Dana 44 is leaking in the rear passenger side. How hard of a repair is this and how much should I expect to pay if I have a garage take care of it?:censored:

It isn't the brake lines leaking either

Check out where mine was leaking. It may be hard to tell from where it;s leaking for sure until its all cleaned up.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/leaky-dana-44-crack-12692/

As far as repairs, depends all on where it;s leaking at specifically. and how big a crack (or less commonly a hole) is and how big... As you can see on my thread, you can repair some of this stuff yourself if able and equipment is available...

Heres the pictures of the cracks and repairs.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/leaky-dana-44-crack-12692/index2.html#post101602

:chug:

~JR

I believe mine is a axle seal leak. Please take a look at my pics. It isn't anything like yours. It is leaking down the dust shield at the end of the axle. Please advise.

I believe mine is a axle seal leak. Please take a look at my pics. It isn't anything like yours. It is leaking down the dust shield at the end of the axle. Please advise.

I did look at your pics, and re-read your post... There is no mention of WHERE the leak is COMING FROM... I can see plainly where it IS not where it's FROM...

Now if we're done being condescending... :cool:

If it's just the outer seal, I have no idea how much a shop would charge to fix, you could try calling one, but I would just do it myself. Pull the axle, get a new kit for bearing, retainer plate, and seal and if you don't want to do the heating the bearing and retainer trick, and/or don't have a press, it will be a lot cheaper to bring the axle and parts to a local machine shop and have them press the stuff on for you. I've done it with the heating in the oven trick, and had that fail another time and went and bought 20 ton shop press to end it! :D After you have them press on the stuff (remember to put the retainer plate and seal on, then have them press the bearing and the bearing retainer on) you just pop it back in and good to go.

Have you ever removed the Dana 44 axles yet? Fairly easy. Let me know if you need more info.

I say new bearing and bearing retainer because you have to destroy them to get them off in most cases... That was a pain. Let me know if you want more info on that.

By the way, I'm only trying to help :D If you only give me 1 picture and another blurry version of the same picture and your entire post reads:

Well my Dana 44 is leaking in the rear passenger side. How hard of a repair is this and how much should I expect to pay if I have a garage take care of it?:censored:

It isn't the brake lines leaking either

Don't be surprised or discouraged with me miss diagnosing from hundreds of Miles away... :cool:

There are bearing / seal kits on a few of our sponsor sites if you want to try to tackle yourself. If not you can probably expect at least a $300.00 bill from a garage to do it time / labor and parts. But again, I've never checked with them on it...

~ JR

I have not had my fingers around a Dana 44 rear but the wheel, brake assembly seal/bearing assembly will have to come off, if the bearing is pressed on it will have to be removed (pressed off with a press) and the seal replaced... if the rear fluid has leaked on the brake pads they need to be replaced they dont work well with contamination on them. also it could be a blown wheel cly, check your master cylinder I would not expect to pay more than $200 or so, but you need to get a quote out of em first

JR I am totally sorry if you thought I was being condesending cause I totally wasn't. That is why I hate emailing, texting, and posting. You never know how someone is going to take it. Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it.:chug:

You never know how someone is going to take it.

That's my fault! I'm sorry bud... I'm always having that conversation with my lady when she gets mad at my text(s) :laugh: Needed to remember that! :D

No worries! Please dont let that discourage you from posting away! I'm a mod here and should know better! Thats not what this site is about!

Which way are you leaning? Check the prices of the kits you'd need like this:

Original Replacement Parts J8124779 - Wheel Bearing Kit for 71-75 Jeep® CJ with Dana 44 Rear Axle - Quadratec

And you "CAN" do it, but it's a job the first time... I've done this 4 times now, and removed the axles more times than that, so for me it seems very easy (plus I now have the 20 ton press...)

But did 2 of them without it, and using the heating in the oven trick! But it's stressful, and you have to be QUICK and COMMITTED. If it goes half on and you stop, your stuck and forced now to have it pressed on (which is how I got my 20 ton press... :D the 3rd set...)

~ JR

Well I probably will pay to have it done cause I really don't have the time and my daughter just blew her mustang up last night and I am trying to work on that ugh

I just found a local shop that will fix it for $240.00 and give me a discount cause I am active military. I think I will give them a try :chug:

That sounds fair!

~ JR

Man I would be broke if I had to pay a shop to work on my jeep. O wait Im already broke I own a cj Lol That's not a bad price to pay. At least you will know it's done right and if not they should stand behind thier work.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom