Replacement 4-speed shifter

Replacement 4-speed shifter

rigrunner567

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7 V8
Picking up my 78 CJ7 AMC 304 4-speed in the floor this week. All of the gears work good, smooth and quiet, however, there is no resistance when going into 3rd so you can easily catch 1st or Reverse. Is there supposed to be a lock out when going into Reverse? Is this something I can repair myself and where could I buy a new shifter if the whole thing needs replaced?

Might want to ID the Transmission to get a reply. Never can tell what someone could have swapped in along the way.:D Here's a site that may help to ID when you get it.

It lists a T 18 as stock for your year. (has pics when you click on the Transmission . model number)

Jeep Factory Transmissions

its a T-18 . from my reading seems the reverse lockout spring is bad or plunger is stuck. can this be fixed with out pulling the Transmission . thanks
having the same issue with my son inlaws 1986 CJ.
If you are not VERY VERY careful going from 3rd to 4th you can grind the reverse gears.

Did you solve the problem?
if so can you share how?

The OP has not been 'on' in almost 6yrs. ;)
LG

Well, this might help obej46 - Yes you can fix the plunger spring without pulling the whole Transmission . In a T-18 the spring is in the top shifter housing. Mine was rusted and busted, had to pull the top and pull the mechanism apart to replace the spring. While at it clean and polish the plunger bore as much as you can, it will get rough causing the spring to stick.

Hedgehog

Thanks for the info!!

Will have at it next opportunity

If I get it fixed correctly maybe my 44 year old daughter will start to drive her jeep again

Thanks again!!!!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom