Roof rack ideas...

Roof rack ideas...

bdunnam

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7 Laredo Black 4.2l i6
Anyone ever built or considered building their own roof rack for a CJ7 before?

I plan on building my own. One of the things that I plan to have is a steel tube design and then cover it with a steel mesh like in the pic. I also want to have a top made of the same material that I can place over the top and lock into place. That way if I want to leave gear in it and go for a day hike or overnight away from the jeep everything will be secure. It also is where I can keep food if we are camping in the woods where bears won't be able to get at it.

Hard top or soft top??:cool:

That's actually not a bad idea you got there alpha, I may do something similar myself. And ioport51, I have a hard top, but I don't wana mount it to the top. I'll draw something up about like what I want and get y'all's opinion.

Ok so here are some simple drawings of how I'd like to mount it. im thinkin on the front mount it to the bottom half of the windshield hinge, sorta like the warn light brackets that mount on the top half, and for the back I was thinking of making brackets that bolted onto my D-ring tabs and using angle iron so that a lot of the stress would be dispersed through the top of the bumper, or if I have the clearance weld a "bung" with a hole drilled through it to the top of the bumper that the tube would slide in, and just put a pin through it.. Ha and sorry it took so long to add the pics, took a little while to freehand em...

Ok so here are some simple drawings of how I'd like to mount it. Ha and sorry it took so long to add the pics, took a little while to freehand em...

Had to freehand em? Have you ever done any work on ceilings of chapels?:eek:

I think your design will work well, but you should re-draw my rear bumper design just so others might get a better look at my idea...I cheated and used Visio:D

Had to freehand em? Have you ever done any work on ceilings of chapels?:eek:

I think your design will work well, but you should re-draw my rear bumper design just so others might get a better look at my idea...I cheated and used Visio:D

Haha no I havent actually... Painted a few in my day, but one solid color, nothing spectacular...

And my bumper is made of 2"x4" tubing that sticks out maybe 2 1/2" to 3" from the body, so I may have to get creative with a tubing bender to fit around the tailights, spare tire rack, and back hatch, and it all still function...

Just make it two piece and have the back half pin to the top half using the receiver hitch as the lower attachment point. Then it's just alignment and pins to put it together. I can see where the creative bends would need to come into play on the rear section. But, if you work metal like you work a pencil....

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Thats actually not a bad idea... ill look into that after i get the tubing. Which leads to another question. I was debating between 1/2", 3/4", and 1" pipe, roughly schedule 40 maybe less. I wana keep it kinda lightweight since the toolbox I made kinda weighs like 125lbs... I cant have it saggin.... haha so please enlighten me on tubing materials I should use...

I don't know material grade numbers, but you can get both thin/light and strong tubing for the right price. It's a harder metal to work with, but the weight savings is there.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

schedule 40 would be a thinner wall. I would think one inch would work. round or box tubing?

I wana do round... just like a bought one...

Thats actually not a bad idea... ill look into that after i get the tubing. Which leads to another question. I was debating between 1/2", 3/4", and 1" pipe, roughly schedule 40 maybe less. I wana keep it kinda lightweight since the toolbox I made kinda weighs like 125lbs... I cant have it saggin.... haha so please enlighten me on tubing materials I should use...

bdunnam:

:)Go to a metal supply house in your area & look. 3/4" tubing will hold most anything you would want to have on the roof......Schedule 40 is water pipe and is a rough exterior finish and would be my last choice.
DOM tubing is a better choice and comes in all the sizes you listed and is sold by the outside (OD) diameter and Inside (ID) diameter which makes for a better choice of wall thickness and weight. If your handy even Aluminum or Stainless tubing could be a choice and can be found used at metal recycle / salvage houses.

:D:D:D:D

I plan on building my own. One of the things that I plan to have is a steel tube design and then cover it with a steel mesh like in the pic. I also want to have a top made of the same material that I can place over the top and lock into place. That way if I want to leave gear in it and go for a day hike or overnight away from the jeep everything will be secure. It also is where I can keep food if we are camping in the woods where bears won't be able to get at it.

:)I've seen bears tear open a pickup truck if they smell something tasty! On top of your vehicle? not much of a challange for a hungry bear.
In Bear country we hang are coolers and food bags from a tall tree away from camp...........

bdunnam:

:)Go to a metal supply house in your area & look. 3/4" tubing will hold most anything you would want to have on the roof......Schedule 40 is water pipe and is a rough exterior finish and would be my last choice.
DOM tubing is a better choice and comes in all the sizes you listed and is sold by the outside (OD) diameter and Inside (ID) diameter which makes for a better choice of wall thickness and weight. If your handy even Aluminum or Stainless tubing could be a choice and can be found used at metal recycle / salvage houses.

Well I do intend to look, DOM is kinda scarce and hard to come by here in north mississippi... Especially for broke college students... haha Im gona see what I can come up with, the closest metal place is 25 min from my town, and I know they dont carry DOM tubing. But I was on Fastenal's website the other day and saw something about tubing, so I'm gona go the store in town and see what they can get... DOM would be nice, but the closest place to get it is 1hr 45min away... Worst case scenario I know some folks that work in SMS metal management scrapyards and ill see what they can scrounge up...

Well I do intend to look, DOM is kinda scarce and hard to come by here in north mississippi... Especially for broke college students... haha Im gona see what I can come up with, the closest metal place is 25 min from my town, and I know they dont carry DOM tubing. But I was on Fastenal's website the other day and saw something about tubing, so I'm gona go the store in town and see what they can get... DOM would be nice, but the closest place to get it is 1hr 45min away... Worst case scenario I know some folks that work in SMS metal management scrapyards and ill see what they can scrounge up...

:)Go on line and there are several vendors that sell and ship DOM.
Don't get me wrong about the Water pipe , it will work it's just at the lower end of the metals scale for appearance, fab & weldabilty.

I would make this rack stable enough to support the weight of at least two grown brown bears...:chug:

I actually don't think what I get is legit water pipe. It's smooth pipe, just with a weld seam. I'll post a pic of what I can get here in a min when I leave for class.

This is what I can get at a descent price... As opposed to DOM.

This might be a difference in sytax, or how people say different things.

*What's the difference between Tube and Pipe?

The general term for pipe was that it was primarily used for carrying gas or liquid. It was not intended for structural use because the dimensions used in describing pipe was not dimensionally accurate. Measurement was referred to its inside diameter and wall thickness. The inside diameter was a true dimension, but over the years had become "nominal" (in name only) so that when pipe size was referred to, it was an approximate inside diameter measurement with the thickness described by the term "schedule".*

(this was "borrowed" from the following link: Pipe VS Tube Tech It's just easier to let Google do the thinking these days...:chug:
)

There is a difference and for something that might lend toward your protection some day, I would buy the real stuff that is made for strength and rigidity. (You can get by with smaller tube with greater strength and less weight as well, this was the first concern raised!):D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom