Roof rack ideas...

Roof rack ideas...
This might be a difference in sytax, or how people say different things.

*What's the difference between Tube and Pipe?

The general term for pipe was that it was primarily used for carrying gas or liquid. It was not intended for structural use because the dimensions used in describing pipe was not dimensionally accurate. Measurement was referred to its inside diameter and wall thickness. The inside diameter was a true dimension, but over the years had become "nominal" (in name only) so that when pipe size was referred to, it was an approximate inside diameter measurement with the thickness described by the term "schedule".*

(this was "borrowed" from the following link: Pipe VS Tube Tech It's just easier to let Google do the thinking these days...:chug:
)

There is a difference and for something that might lend toward your protection some day, I would buy the real stuff that is made for strength and rigidity. (You can get by with smaller tube with greater strength and less weight as well, this was the first concern raised!):D

Ha well I can't argue with that. But I know there is a difference, for me it jut hard to call it what it is because where I buy it from, it's sold as "pipe" but by the obvious weld seam in it, I'm pretty sure tapping it to use as poop pipe would pose quite a problem. I guess you could call it tubing, because its made just like square and rectangle tubing, and maybe being in rural ms has something to do with why it's sold in schedules, I'm not really sure on that. But I think it should do me fine, as I live in fairly flat land, so no rock crawling or anything of that nature, and the most weight it will hold would be 300lbs tops.

This is what I can get at a descent price... As opposed to DOM.

:)Hey not a problem..............use it if the price is right.......That does look like water pipe with the laquer finish on it...........Go for it!

:D:D:D:D

Ha well it's actually wet from being in the bed of my truck all week... Ha and don't get me wrong, I would love to use DOM, but for where I live getting it shipped here would probably cost more than the metal would... Ha and hypothetically speaking, what would be different if I were to use square tubing? Because that tubing in the picture I posted is the exact same thing, just round not square. And in my defense, I have helped my dad, who owns a construction company, remodel over 20 different houses, and built atleast 6 that I can remember off the top of my head, and I've never seen any kind of pipe made like that. Now legit poop pipe has a more rough texture and threaded ends. Which you can get at lowes. Can't get this stuff at lowes, atleast not around here. But I'm going to look into DOM, and see what it's gona take to get it. And I have 1 question, what are the bought ones made of?

Ha well it's actually wet from being in the bed of my truck all week... Ha and don't get me wrong, I would love to use DOM, but for where I live getting it shipped here would probably cost more than the metal would... Ha and hypothetically speaking, what would be different if I were to use square tubing? Because that tubing in the picture I posted is the exact same thing, just round not square. And in my defense, I have helped my dad, who owns a construction company, remodel over 20 different houses, and built atleast 6 that I can remember off the top of my head, and I've never seen any kind of pipe made like that. Now legit poop pipe has a more rough texture and threaded ends. Which you can get at lowes. Can't get this stuff at lowes, atleast not around here. But I'm going to look into DOM, and see what it's gona take to get it. And I have 1 question, what are the bought ones made of?

:)Tubing comes in various types.....like chrome moly,Shelby seamless, electric welded , Dom and the list goes on......you should do some research on line and use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Not knowing what design looks like, most of the commerical roof racks have rounded corners and are made from a welded seam tubing........that type of system saves welding time since your only welding one joint per loop.....But you can use square tube but to bend it requires a special die for bending..........If your design is all square welded corners then 45 degree them and your good to go.

Don't over think the tubing.........get something that works for your Fabricating skills and get to work!

:D:D:D:D

Ha well my intentions are to to bend it like commercial ones. And use welded seam tubing that I can get locally, and at a discount at that. I figure it'll be stouter than a commercial one anyways. May not protect me in a rollover, ha but I'm pretty sure a commercial one would crinkle and snap like a twig.

When I bought my CJ5 it had a roof rack the PO built. It seemed to be strong. I crawled up there and it held my weight fine. It was made with thicker steel and seemed to be better welded than aftermarket roof racks. I usually didn't have anything up there. On trail rides I like to keep my CG low but I used it to carry spare gas and a lawn chair.
ophir_pass_west_side.jpg

twisted2small.jpg

standard_4x4__medium.jpg

But it still didn't last. I take my Jeep on mountain trails. The rack would develop cracks, especially above the windshield. The rack would vibrate and sway front to rear. I repaired the rack many times. I even added an angel iron to the front of the rack. It eventually became a loosing battle and I reluctantly removed the rack. If my CJ was used just for street use I'm sure it would have worked out fine.

That tubing, yes the welded seam tubing seems like it would work. Any idea on its specs? I might consider a heavier pipe for the up rights. But then we over engineer around here. BusaDave9 I like that rack on your rig, makes me want to build one like that.

CJ's, having only one body mount under the grill, suffer from bad cowl shake. Before attempting to secure something to the windshield frame, this issue needs to be resolved. I tied my dash into the roll cage so it doesn't move much anymore.

Ha well it's awful flat in this part of the country, so no serious flexing all the time... But what about building a bracket to come off the frame in front of the factory step? Maybe make something that I can a pin out and pull the rack off, then pull another pin and pull another peice of tubing off the frame so that I doesnt always stick out.

My rack was not frame mounted but it was removable. The bolts are circled in red.
13235d1361724784-roof-rack-ideas-twisted2small.jpg

In all honesty I never remoed the rack until I removed it for good. It just seemed like too much hassle. More so than a hard top.

is the front mount bolted to the winshield frme bolts?

is the front mount bolted to the winshield frme bolts?
Yes, a home made bracket mounts with the same bolts that hold on the windshield hinge.

Im presuming the front bracket was T shaped from what I can make out in the Pic. I wish you had close ups.

This homemade bracket was held on with 4 bolts.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Perfect! Thanks BusaDave9 :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom