• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rubicon Trail Ride 2017 - Poll Thread

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
I've been talking and talking about doing this - Here I am finally getting off my backside! (Haha Pete!)

First, I wheel better than I spell / type so :D I like Capital leTTers WhEre thEy doN't bELong...

I'd like to host a trail ride through the Rubicon Trail in the late spring to late summer time next year 2017. Dates and exact routes / days TBD through this poll and the discussions below.

Here's the first Generic Idea(s) I have:

Day 1 - All meet around Loon Lake / Airport Flat areas for camping, unpacking and dinner / spirits :D See here for general idea of the location:

attachment.php

Day 2 - Leave Main camp set up and travel the "loop" of the trail heads. This is a good test of equipment and will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect along the trail for the most part. We'd start at the Main trail head at Loon Lake and traverse in to the "split" around Walker Hill. From here we could go a bit further in to Little Sluice if we're doing ok on time and no one needs to work on their jeep yet. Then we'd turn around and drive out through the old Wentworth springs entrance to end back on a paved or dirt road (whatever we chose) and back to main camp for the night.

Day 3 could be running around the area where we camp - there are many lakes, some trails still open, shooting areas if anyone is so inclined, hole in the wall "watering holes" for some spirits, etc. Day 3 could also just be we start the trail itself etc (see day 4 below) but it might be good to have a relaxing day after a bumpy day before and few more to come. Depending on schedules, people could also drive their trailers, Camping Rigs etc to the Opposite side of the trail by way of Highway 50 to Lake Tahoe, and drive back that same way with road legal rigs if they want. I prefer to leave my stuff if necessary on the mountains side where we'll start, but it may make sense for some people to do the opposite etc.

Day 4 We'd load up minimal camping supplies and food / water as Main camp would be deserted for a few days from this point forward after breakfast. We'd again enter the Rubicon Trail by way of either Loon Lake or Wentworth springs entrance. This time we would continue through to at least Buck Island, though depending on the day's "issues (if any)" we could progress further to the Rubicon Springs (much better camping in my opinion – Buck Island is a lot of granite to sleep on – I prefer dirt ;) ). The springs is a private pay "campground" but it's reasonable and a great atmosphere to stay at. We'll all be tired and sore, so I assume we'll unpack, set up camp and sit around a fire eating and whatnot for the evening.

Day 5 We'd check out the Rubicon Springs area a bit more, swim and relax - or Run back to buck island in the jeeps to check it out more and swim / lunch picnic there etc.

Day 6 we'd load up and leave Rubicon springs are and go to the last obstacle of the trail - Cadillac Hill. Named from a old Cadillac at the bottom of the mountain that rolled, and rotted there. We'd stop for the famous photo of all our rigs at the observation point, and then finally exit to Tahoe over a long easy dirt road. We can either drive the highway back to main camp for the night or try to set up a campground thing around Lake Tahoe (absolutely beautiful area) hit north or south shore for entertainment etc - up to the group or groups if some want to and some don't etc.

Day 7 - travel home

This is all up to everyone and completely subject to change if you want. If you all want to just run the trail in 2 days we can. If you want to take more days we can. If you want to check out Hell Hole trail, Fordyce trail, etc around in CA too while you're here we can do that too - I'll say I have not personally ran hell hole or Fordyce myself, so I would be seeing it for the first time too - and they're pretty knarly...

In more posts below, I'll detail the expectations you should have, possible dangers, etc. I'll also show a few run photos and videos for teasers.

I'll put up a minimum “requirements” list, but honestly I've seen people run this with very minimal gear if they're the right driver and not worried about cosmetic damage. (Insert Joke about Posi’s "Barbie Jeep") I don't want to sway people from not coming by thinking their jeep won’t make it, but at the same time I don't want someone to spend a bunch of money to come and find out here their jeep "won't" do it.

More to come - Please let me know how much intrest there is in this run. Dates, suggestions on schedule edits above etc are all welcomed too!

attachment.php

attachment.php

:chug::chug::chug:

Attachments

• rubicon_loon_ws.gif
    rubicon_loon_ws.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 244
  • rubicon-all.gif
    rubicon-all.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Airport Flat Campground - Google Maps.pdf
    940 KB · Views: 76
  • Airport Flat Campground.jpg
    Airport Flat Campground.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
I should add - I haven't cleared this as a "official" trail ride, or coordinated with BusaDave yet on if he's hosting another Colorado one too etc.

There may not be any window decal swag etc available for this "trail ride" - I just wanted to offer to host a group that wants to go personally from our site members base.

And Families are welcome, but this is backwoods camping at it's finest - no hotels or fine dining except what we cook - you all know if you youngins and spouses would like it or hate it :D

:chug:

Great idea and a good plan.
Might want to check with CA4WD and CORVA for any possible date conflicts.
Best of luck,
LG

I'm in,
I checked off 80% depending on the date.
I'm not missing the CO trail run in mid-late August.

Edit: Whoo-Hoo! JR74CJ5

Last edited:
Find me a nice dry California Cj that I can run the Rubicon with and drive home to Pa and me and Vicki will fly out . :D

Last edited:
lol! I don't know about that... I'd like to Run a CJ i know over the Con vs a newly purchased one...

:cool:

I'll keep my eye's out though!

here you go!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5828999982.html

:D (Edit - Poor old girl :( )

You laugh but I saw that Cj weeks ago. A nice Slate blue interior with a blue or gray bikini top along with some lights and off we go. Love that it's locked front and rear , the patina and aluminum slots are awesome. Vick digs the automatic but says I can get a rusty Jeep here. :rolleyes:

I found a CJ that would work for me, locked and ready to roll.

https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/5830298853.html

Pete for you.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5822903335.html

Love the Laredo and rebuilt engine but cross country in a CJ7 would be tough enough, more a less scrunched in a CJ5. Looks like I'd be taking some bypasses with it as well. Not some Tj you'd wanna flog! :D

That '82, CJ5 is a dang good price.:eek:
Engine bay looks all OEM.:notworthy:
LG

Love the Laredo and rebuilt engine but cross country in a CJ7 would be tough enough, more a less scrunched in a CJ5. Looks like I'd be taking some bypasses with it as well. Not some Tj you'd wanna flog! :D
Scrunched? I've been wheeling mb's 2a's, 3b's and CJ5's at 6'2 210 and I've been fine with it. I feel the gymnastics of getting in and out have increased my overall fitness. :D As for driving cross country, I wouldn't do it with a 7 or a 5....maybe if I was in my 20's with 2 hot girls on board. I did have fun crushing that tj though :eek:

Ok, lets hear from the CO trail riders! who is going? :)

Torx, I'll never forgive you if you don't go. :)

LG you can ride shot gun with me

Last edited:
LG you can ride shot gun with me

THX-Don't think there would be enough room for 'refreshments' then. :laugh: :poke:

Sounds like a great time. We'll have to coordinate our trail rides for anyone that may want to also go on the Colorado Trail ride. I was thinking of having mine in mid or late August. :chug:

Wow those 2 trips are on my bucket list. And to be able to do them in one trip would be the icing on the cake. Working on my jeep now to get it trail ready for an adventure on those very trails with members. The hardest part would be the 3-4 weeks to get them in. But in just a few years I will have that time and plan all this, just not in 2017. Hope you all have fun and plan something like this in the future years also. All the best

Small resurrection - so from the people who are really interested in 2017 run - would you want it to be closer to the CO trail ride to make a bid trip out of it? Or few months apart?

I'm busy / committed late May to Mid June with Son's HS graduation and a graduation cruise to Jamaica... At some point in September I think I'll be flying out to his military graduation from basic (is the plan at least now).

So we could plan a tentative early to mid May thing, but might still have snow... or a late June, Mid to late July thing (around the 4th would be a bit crazy - but if people wanted to... It just gets PACKED)

Or, we could coordinate with Dave and run it before or after the CO trail ride. Way I envision it would be to run one with the other 3 to 5 days apart for travel time.

It's 14 to 15 hrs drive from Lake Tahoe to Ouray / Silverton, CO. (roughly - add a few hours depending on where leave from trail side wise...)

So 2 days traveling would be slow going and relaxing with a night stop, and a day or few in CO to tune up / rest up. Or vise versa, few days to rest and check out Tahoe etc.

Lots of choices!

So I ask you all - what are you guys thinking would be best?

I would like to get together with the group I've been wheeling with in Ouray for their thoughts and find out who is on board, and what times are best for them if they go. Maybe get everyone together after the Holidays and made a plan

I'll be in Austin,Texas mid July for a week or so. In Ouray CO third week in August.

I would like to get together with the group I've been wheeling with in Ouray for their thoughts and find out who is on board, and what times are best for them if they go. Maybe get everyone together after the Holidays and made a plan

I'll be in Austin,Texas mid July for a week or so. In Ouray CO third week in August.

Posi,

You get any answers or ideas together from the others? With your above schedule, would you be more interested in Mid / Late June, Between your Texas and Colorado trips, or later in the fall season before winter?

Anyone else who's interested too, welcome to put your preference down.

Looks like mid-to late June, or just before the Ouray trip would be available for me.

I just emailed the group, and will post when I hear back.

Thanks for the reminder. :chug:

I would love to try this. I know it's a long drive from SE WI. Santa didn't bring me my own CJ, so I may not be going anywhere. I really wanted my own jeep to drive, like a 2a. I check ewillys everyday. One can only hope. :)

I would love to try this. I know it's a long drive from SE WI. Santa didn't bring me my own CJ, so I may not be going anywhere. I really wanted my own jeep to drive, like a 2a. I check ewillys everyday. One can only hope. :)

Wait a minute...

1979 CJ5
1959 CJ5
1967 CJ5
1954 CJ3b

None of those are yours??

old jeep "dude" is stingy! :laugh:

Just kidding ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks