Secret to CA Smog Pass

Secret to CA Smog Pass

81fun

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 Jeep-CJ7, 258 I-6 w/header + mild cam + 2bbl Carter, 4-spd, T18, rear detroit locker, 410s F/R, CB Radio, spring-over, 33x12.5 tires.
My 81-CJ7 been on blocks for 8 years. I got it running [2bbl Carter running rough] but also got the news my 81-CJ7 may need EFI to get past the CA smog reqmts. How are all these CJs I see on the roads able to pass smog test? What are you guys doing I need to know about. OK to e-mail me if you need to.

I moved to Arizona! :chug:

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I am not that familiar with the early computerized version of the 258, but more so on the later versions. To get it to pass Ca. smog it has to be set up like it came from the factory. You need to have all the smog stuff first and it all has to work. This guy here has info on all the stuff for an '85 258 and how it is supposed to work which is a bit simpler than yours: Jeep Adventures Under the Hood.
If you have all the stuff there are a few points that will go bad like the O2 sensor and the vacumn lines all need to be replaced also, and the carb idle tubes have a history of clogging up and can be cleaned out with an .032 drill:Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem.
There is a lot of write up on the net about the computerized 258 so you could research that.
The efi conversions are excellent but expensive ways to do it. The ones made by Howell Engine Developments and the Mopar mpfi set up are both Ca. legal and will provide a seat of the pants boost plus get better gas mileage. I have the Howell unit and use it because it is simpler to install and lots cheaper to buy. The Mopar is known to provide the best performance, but requires premium gas. So it looks like you have only 3 options to choose from, not including leaving the state.

Thanks SJ, good info.
My CJ has all the proper smog stuff. I recently had an engin mechanic go over it. Said a few items need replacing like you listed. My CJ is non-computerized [thank god]. I considered getting different tags, but don't want to trailer it, I want to go when/where I want to. I was hoping to avoid the +$1800.00 to go EFI [Howell unit]. I considered having 2 carbs [Carter for smogging, Webber after its smogged], but maybe more problem than its worth.

Any of your buddies doing anything different?

Have you even tried to see if will pass or not?

An 81 sold in Calif originally would be computerized.
You have a ton of sensors and vacuum switches, coolant switches etc etc.
A very basic test is to observe the stepper motor pins by looking down inside the carb at engine start-up; use eye protection of course; they should move in and out; you can only see the upper; if no movement then the fun begins.

An 81 sold in Calif originally would be computerized.
You have a ton of sensors and vacuum switches, coolant switches etc etc.
A very basic test is to observe the stepper motor pins by looking down inside the carb at engine start-up; use eye protection of course; they should move in and out; you can only see the upper; if no movement then the fun begins.

True, during the time period California jeeps had extra smog stuff than the rest of the States did not. Maybe yours originally came from out of state. I remember a day it was common place to buy a Corvette in Las Vegas and bring it back to Cal to beat the smog controls. I don’t think it took too long for the State to catch on and throw down a road block but still all possibilities are there. I have a cousin from the Bay Area that had a CJ5 he registered at my parents place in Oregon for years as he just couldn’t get it done in Cal. (Say, that sounds like a potential cottage industry!) Anyway if you have Cal smog equipment then there may be a sticker under the hood stating so.

CA 258s all had serpentine belts starting in 1981, not that someone couldn't have swapped belt system and or engine.
Pictures please.

I feel for you, As stated it needs to be as originally equiped and fully functioning
to pass but luckily they are not tested to current emission standards. I was able to get my 78 to pass with no problems but due to how crappy it ran at altitude were It gets much use I went with the Mopar system and never looked back. Not an easy decision to put a fuel system that costs as much as you may have paid for the vehicle itself but I sure don't regrete doing it on mine, runs perfect, burns far less fuel giving much more range than carburated.
FYI there are counties in Ca. that don't require smog testing and maybe a po box or something in one might work.

When I lived in VA, I had a small carb business which I operated at home. The state of VA has ( or had ) an emissions test also. I got many vehicles to pass by adjusting the idle air mixture screws way in.....sometimes to the point that the engine idled roughly, however, the vehicles would usually pass the test. Then afterwards, they would come see me, and I would open the screws back up and get the smooth idle again. I'm not saying this is the correct thing to do ( Green wise ) but most of my customers didn't have the extra hundreds of dollars required to change the EGR, smog pump, rebuild the carb and so on, so I helped them out.

Thanks MTNWHLR:
The mechanic had a smog shop friend take a quick look. Won't pass smog mainly due to carb issues. Funny, but the mech also said I should loose the headers [leaking a bit] and go back to stock exhaust manifold. I think I can tighten the header bolts to solve the leak, but always figured headers where a good thing over stock regardless?

Thanks FASTATV:
This maybe workth a look-see.

Saquach:
I'll check by looking down the carb as you recommend.
My CJ jeep originally came from Oregan or Washington. I met a guy in my club that had an 81 CJ7 from CA, and the volume of tubes and such compaired to mine and his was unbelivable. The mechanic verified I had all the proper tubes - good news for me. I think the only computer-like unit I have operates something in the emission control like a valve-gate? What do you think?

Saquach and EVERYONE...
Lots of good info. I tried to see about getting "Historic" registration but same Limited use and trailer reqmts issue. I'm thinking about some "Special Use" permit that would allow me to hot-rod the engine, but its looking like the same usage restrictioins.

Being a Buckeye from Ohio, I appreciate what this state offers for recreations, but can't stand the BS restrictions everytime I turn around! Price I pay to raise a family here.

Thanks again...:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks