Shift Lever

Shift Lever

roofwarrior

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Cj-7 1986,K-3500 Chevy 2000,SS Impala 2007,Aveo 2007
Recently got my CJ7 back on the road after having it parked for six years,one of my current issues is the shift lever is stuck in four high,it was always hard to switch out before,now it is just plan stuck,any suggestions on how to get this problem fixed.

lots of PB Blaster sprayed on the base of the controls is a good start.

OH! and :ww: to the forums!

If you were working on the jeep it could be that you put the shift lever on when the tranny wasn't in neutral.
Remove the shift lever from the Transmission . Then make sure the shift forks are all set in the middle. Unless you have a 3 speed there are shift forks on 3 shift rails. Each of these must be set in the middle. Only then will the shift lever be able to move side to side. Then put the shift lever back on.

PB Blaster is a penetrating spray similar to WD-40, but better at getting rusty things loosened.
Look for it it any parts store, Wal-Mart or pretty much any hardware store.

31zpw6rtSKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

is the Transmission stuck or the Transfer Case ?? If the TC you may just need a trip to the car wash and clean the linkages.:cool:
It may not hurt to check the fluid in both.

I used to have this problem. In the past, the best way I found to get it out of 4-hi was to put it in reverse and back the vehicle up some. This takes some bind out of the xfercase. Occasionally that would require dropping the clutch a bit. :cool:

After twinsticking my Dana 300 , I dont have near the problems I did, I can shift it while the vehicle is moving. I highly recommend a twinstick configuration for anyone running a Dana 300 . Even if you dont use all the features a twinstick allows, it shifts much nicer not having to force two shift rods to move at the same time.

The stock design is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and even though Im no engineer, I could tell it was prone to binding up especially after the linkage starts showing wear.

PB Blaster is a must! Not sure if that will solve your problem, but it works waaaay better than WD40!

I second on the PB Blaster (jungle juice) it is a penetrating agent, not a water displacer hence WD-40, and mine isnt easy to shift just sitting there either, but i usually go forward a bit and apply pressure to the shifter and if it doesnt come out like that i throw it in reverse and do the same thing, but definatly check your shift forks if that doesnt work

After sitting for 6 years, the Transfer Case shift rod detent springs and balls could be rusted. If they won't move, by tapping axially on them from underneath, dis-assembly may be in order.

Not sure if PB Blaster can get in that far to loosen them up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom