shift levers and 4WD

shift levers and 4WD

Redhillnm

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
05 Tundra, 07 RAV4, 56 Crown Victoria, 70 CJ5
Have an old ('70) CJ5 with - I think - a T-18 and a Dana 18. No owner manual. I know the main shifter is for the "H" pattern. Middle one appears to have a hi - neutral - low function. Small, third lever to the far right is an in/out. But don't seem to be able to figure out how to get it in-out of 4WD or hi-lo. Don't know what the small lever is "in-out" of. I do know that with it far forward, no drive in any direction.

Does the jeep need to move in either direction a certain distance to engage/disengage the hubs, despite the "free" or "lock" positions?

Planing to jack the whole thing up and try different things. Frustrating at best so far. Engine revs too fast to even hit 40MPH regardless of the position of the middle lever. Seem to hear the "while" of the front diff also no matter the position of the shift levers.

I plead ignorance here. Any help ??

Have an old ('70) CJ5 with - I think - a T-18 and a Dana 18. No owner manual. I know the main shifter is for the "H" pattern. Middle one appears to have a hi - neutral - low function. Small, third lever to the far right is an in/out. But don't seem to be able to figure out how to get it in-out of 4WD or hi-lo. Don't know what the small lever is "in-out" of. I do know that with it far forward, no drive in any direction.

Does the jeep need to move in either direction a certain distance to engage/disengage the hubs, despite the "free" or "lock" positions?

Planing to jack the whole thing up and try different things. Frustrating at best so far. Engine revs too fast to even hit 40MPH regardless of the position of the middle lever. Seem to hear the "while" of the front diff also no matter the position of the shift levers.

I plead ignorance here. Any help ??

v6 correct?
big shifter, tranny, 3 speed
middle shifter, if on right of 1st, over drive, regular torward the seats, Overdrive to the front
small sifter almost under the dash in front, single stick for the t case
all the way down is 2wd, next is 4 high, next is nuetral, next is 4 low
hubs must be in the 4 wheel drive position or you will not be in 4x4

now there are other shift knobs available, I need to see a picture to see if I am correct, some units came with different overdrives, ptos etc, please post a picture.

v6 correct?
big shifter, tranny, 3 speed
middle shifter, if on right of 1st, over drive, regular torward the seats, Overdrive to the front
small sifter almost under the dash in front, single stick for the t case
all the way down is 2wd, next is 4 high, next is nuetral, next is 4 low

hubs must be in the 4 wheel drive position or you will not be in 4x4

now there are other shift knobs available, I need to see a picture to see if I am correct, some units came with different overdrives, ptos etc, please post a picture.

Just to confuse the issue, BahaE, it sounds like you are describing a Dana 20 Transfer Case shift pattern ( 1 stick), not a Dana 18 pattern (2 sticks).
Dana 18 pattern should be:
Middle shifter = Range selector (hi - n - low)
far right shifter = Transfer Case engage (in - out)

Sounds to me like its stuck in low range and the shifters aren't hooked up to the 'case.
:chug:

V6 - correct.

I plead ignorance on the designation of the Transmission and the Transfer Case . The little shifter (far right one) WAS completely disconnected from the rod on the case when we got it home, but I reconnected it and secured it with a lock washer.

Haven't "felt" any other position of the small lever other than engaged or disengaged. The middle lever DOES have a neutral position if I'm patient enough to wiggle it a while.

Main Transmission shifting is OK. Little one, if pushed to the front, disengages the entire Transmission , regardless of the position of either the main or the middle lever.

Puzzlement abounds.

Thanks a whole bunch. Didn't have any idea there were so many variations. Will definitely try harder today to figure out the whole arrangement.

Very helpful. Thanks again.

Just to confuse the issue, BahaE, it sounds like you are describing a Dana 20 Transfer Case shift pattern ( 1 stick), not a Dana 18 pattern (2 sticks).
Dana 18 pattern should be:
Middle shifter = Range selector (hi - n - low)
far right shifter = Transfer Case engage (in - out)

Sounds to me like its stuck in low range and the shifters aren't hooked up to the 'case.
:chug:
Dane 18 tcase behind a v6 had 1 shifter, they used a Dana 20 case with D 18 interior to handle the extra power
so as you see dana 18 cases had 2 shifter options, 2 shifters, or 1 shifter

Post a picture of the shifters
post a pictureof the back of the tcase

V6 - correct.

Little one, if pushed to the front, disengages the entire Transmission , regardless of the position of either the main or the middle lever.

Puzzlement abounds.
sounds like a pto, D 18s had a port for a pto

now I want pic of shifters
pic of t case and any case behind it

OK. Will take a couple photos this afternoon after I get it up on some stands. Don't know how good those from under the Jeep will be, but......

Dane 18 tcase behind a v6 had 1 shifter, they used a Dana 20 case with D 18 interior to handle the extra power
so as you see dana 18 cases had 2 shifter options, 2 shifters, or 1 shifter

huh...learned something new today!
told ya i could confuze the issue!:laugh:

The stickers help, but I'm still a bit confused. Closest one is Pattern 002 - T-90 /T-86 /T14A. except---(1) the "out/in" small lever is on the far right. The middle lever is the one that seems to have "low/neutral/high" positions. With the small lever forward to the "out" position, no movement in either axle regardless of the shift lever positions of the main or the Overdrive ; and (2) a prior owner has written on the dash, ref the middle lever, that FORWARD is the HIGH position.

To BajaEdition - pics are now in Member's Gallery, under Redhillnm. Don't know if they'll help. Not much room under there today.

here we go is the shaft in this pic your front driveshaft? The pic is really close up and I am trying to orient myself
img_0310_1.jpg

img_0310_1.jpg

the one on the left is the tranny, the small one is the t case
the middle one is where the satarn (warn) Overdrive traditionally goes,
img_0306_1.jpg

if it is a warn (satarn) Overdrive it will look like this
19c968c0.jpg

notice the unit on the left rear of the Tcase, that is the Overdrive unit

notice the lighter unit in the rear of this drive train
mohney2.jpg

that is an Overdrive unit, does your t case have one of these behind the Transfer Case ?

notice the lighter unit in the rear of this drive train
mohney2.jpg

that is an Overdrive unit, does your t case have one of these behind the Transfer Case ?

seeing how that lighter unit has a shaft coming off it, I'd say it a PTO drive, not an Overdrive . My old 2A Warn had an OD on it, and it looked like this pic.
19c968c0.jpg

Last edited:
Correct. The reason this photo is so close up is I was lying on my back scrunched under the car. Was by myself and have no decent place to get a lift under it. Takin' my life in my hands to get these photos. The linkage you see here - with the kinda shiny part - is the middle lever. I sure don't have such a clear view as the one you show with the body off. Don't yet see any "port" where there's a PTO "out." Only know that the small lever either lets it move or not at all.

seeing how that lighter unit has a shaft coming off it, I'd say it a PTO drive, not an Overdrive . My old 2A Warn had an OD on it, and it looked like this pic.
19c968c0.jpg
I posted that pic, not the OP. I was showing him stuff to look for, however his pic shows a drive shaft I think is from a pto unit, I need a few more pics

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom