Shimming starter

Shimming starter

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
My starter makes a heck of a racket when it starts like it is hitting the flywheel to hard.Is there anyone who has shimmed the starter and with what kind of shims?
This is a 6cyl AMC 232 i6

Hitting the fly wheel where? If you shim an AMC starter (unlike a Chevy) all it does is move the starter gear more to the front of the jeep, it does not move it in or out towards the engine (to correct tooth engagement).

Since the flywheel gear should have nothing behind it, you shouldn't be hitting anything unless the bendix is worn out or the starter is not the correct one for the ring gear tooth #'s.

I have never heard of anyone shimming a AMC starter. These old style starters do make a lot of noise compared to the modern counterparts. Its two bolts holding it on it may be worth pulling it off to check the condition of the drive gear.

I bet the snout bushing is gone.

Possibly the wire ring on the end of the starter shaft letting the starter gear go in too far?

Did it just happen? Or after replacement?

I've got this same issue on a 90 6cyl. Re-manufactured starter from autozone died after 6 months. warranty replacement started acting up 6 months later. a few times it wouldn't disengage.
Now it just won't catch. it's just banging and grinding. It seems like it's not lining up. So I forced Autozone to give me another warranty replacement. It started up the first shot. After that it was back to grinding again. I removed it and put it back in 3 times. there's no wiggle room and obviously know way to or need to shim it.
I had one mechanic tell me the issue is the re-manufactured starters that are a problem. I'm about 5 minutes away from calling up NAPA and getting a new one and saying to hell with the Autozone POS.
Is this really the issue? re-manufactured vs new?
Any advice is appreciated. I know this is a CJ forum but I trust CJ guys because of their experience with the AMC AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

I am far from an expert, but I had a starter problem when I purchased my CJ in Sept.

1. Bought a replacement starter from Oreilly's and the nose bushing was bad, didn't move much but it still moved. Grabbed another off the shelf and it was good to go.

2. My engine was missing the alignement bushing between the tranny bell housing and the engine. If you are interested in looking to see if you have them they are at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Not very thick but far enough to throw off the alignment.

3. Check your flexplate that your starter mounts through. Mine actually has oblonged holes and needs "realigning" every so often. But online sells the plates for about $15.

Definitely look at your flywheel and make sure it does not have rounded teeth. Just my experience and .02 :D. Hope you find the problem.

Gus

Last edited:
Flywheel was the problem.Fixed as good as new.:chug:

Hey Gus, thanks for the reply.
It seems to be fixed. I couldnt see any issue with the starter or flywheel. So i went and picked up a NEW, not rebuilt starter from NAPA. A lot of folks told me to stay away from the rebuilt staters.
The new one worked on the first start, Didn't work the 2nd or 3rd time. It was grinding like hell again. I took it off and put it back on 3 more times.
Finally It started up without grinding. I spent the rest of the weekend starting the jeep. I must have started it 50 times. Cold starts, I'd let it get up to temp and I'd start it hot. And no issues. I've never seen this type of issue with a starter before but it just seems like it has to be lined up just perfect and tightened up just right. I can't explain it, all I know is I spent a lot of time removing and installing this starter and now it works.
I'd be interested to hear any theories on this.

I would take off the inspection plate and check all the teeth on your starter ring. It may be that you have a bad spot, messed up teeth, in only one place and it only grinds when it's at that spot. It doesn't make sense that taking the starter off and on would fix an issue like this. I have had three bad remanufactured starters in the last year though. Going with a new starter usually eliminates that problem.

Tommy

Ok so I really really do not want to have to remove the Transmission to check the flywheel. As a matter of fact that flywheel was replaced about 18 months ago. However this still doesn't make sense to me. This morning it started grinding again.
Recap: Installed new starter 4 days ago. Started the Jeep about 40 times successfully on Sunday. Worked fine Monday. Tues I had 1 grinding started. Wednesday I grinding start. Today it took a couple of grinding tries before it started.
New starter, flywheel 18 months old. When I put the new starter in it worked fine on the first start then started grinding. Took it out and put it back in a few times then I got my 40 successful starts in a row on Sunday.

Questions:
What are the odds that i'm missing teeth on the flywheel?
Whats involved in pulling the Transmission (auto) on a 90" AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l YJ if I really need to check the flywheel. Do I have to pull the whole thing out just to inspect the flywheel?

Ok so I really really do not want to have to remove the Transmission to check the flywheel. As a matter of fact that flywheel was replaced about 18 months ago. However this still doesn't make sense to me. This morning it started grinding again.
Recap: Installed new starter 4 days ago. Started the Jeep about 40 times successfully on Sunday. Worked fine Monday. Tues I had 1 grinding started. Wednesday I grinding start. Today it took a couple of grinding tries before it started.
New starter, flywheel 18 months old. When I put the new starter in it worked fine on the first start then started grinding. Took it out and put it back in a few times then I got my 40 successful starts in a row on Sunday.

Questions:
What are the odds that i'm missing teeth on the flywheel?
Whats involved in pulling the Transmission (auto) on a 90" AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l YJ if I really need to check the flywheel. Do I have to pull the whole thing out just to inspect the flywheel?
You dont need to pull the tranny to check the flexplate (flywheel) for missing or damaged teeth.
Pull the starter and you can see a lot. Pull the inspection cover and you can see more....its just a few screws basically.
Once you pull the starter/inspection cover, have somebody manually turn the engine while you lay underneath and inspect away.
Note> Pull the spark plugs, and remove the belts to make this easier. ;)

You dont need to pull the tranny to check the flexplate (flywheel) for missing or damaged teeth.
Pull the starter and you can see a lot. Pull the inspection cover and you can see more....its just a few screws basically.
Once you pull the starter/inspection cover, have somebody manually turn the engine while you lay underneath and inspect away.
Note> Pull the spark plugs, and remove the belts to make this easier. ;)

Thanks Jim, thats great information. Much appreciated.!

i have a 1990 sahara AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and somtimes you do have to shim the starter. I replaced my starter not long ago and when i took the old one out a shim fell out. I put the new one in and heard alot of clicking coming from it, so i took it off added the shim and puff fixed ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom