should have never done it but i rebuilt my carb and now i have major problems

yetiwarrior82

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Stock 1979 CJ7
258 4.2L Inline 6
Auto tranny with quadratrac
ok it was running fine and i decided i was going to rebuild the carb to make it last longer. now i have problems. first problem i'm having is when i accelerate its like it skips and then it will die. unless if i open the choke plate all the way open then it runs fine but it does have smoke coming from the heating duct inside :eek: but i decided i was going to take off the carb again and i went to take off the fuel line from the carb that leads to the fuel filter and i losened the clamp on it and it started pouring out gas. like it had way to much in there. any advice at all

Eh.. Rule number 1 about jeeps.. If they are not broke/leaking don't fix it. Does you you have the fuel filter hooked up correctly? The return side should hook into the outer most nipple.

When you rebuilt it did you adjust the float correctly? Did you count the number of turns on the mixture screw and reinstall them the same number of turns? Did you get the distributor hooked back into the same vacuum port? Did you mess with taking off the carb plates? Why is your choke not opening up by it self? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the base of your carb to check for leaks?

What kind of carb you have.

Eh.. Rule number 1 about jeeps.. If they are not broke/leaking don't fix it. Does you you have the fuel filter hooked up correctly? The return side should hook into the outer most nipple.

When you rebuilt it did you adjust the float correctly? Did you count the number of turns on the mixture screw and reinstall them the same number of turns? Did you get the distributor hooked back into the same vacuum port? Did you mess with taking off the carb plates? Why is your choke not opening up by it self? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the base of your carb to check for leaks?

What kind of carb you have.

i got it. it runs now. i think it was the float. but now i have a vacume leak so i got to fix that

i got it. it runs now. i think it was the float. but now i have a vacume leak so i got to fix that
Glad to hear you found the problem. I also found out the hard way, when rebuilding carbs make sure to make a note of how many washers are included with the rebuild kit. And the old parts that came off. When I rebuild my carter bbd the kit came with one washer for the float, and needle and the original carb had two, needless to say when I adjusted the float to spec, it was to high and was running out of gas. After adjusting the accelator pump and linkage three times, I gave up and looked at the old parts I took out and low and behold found the extra washer. So after installing the extra old washer and readjusting the float it ran like a champ. Just some thing to keep in mind.:)

Glad to hear you found the problem. I also found out the hard way, when rebuilding carbs make sure to make a note of how many washers are included with the rebuild kit. And the old parts that came off. When I rebuild my carter bbd the kit came with one washer for the float, and needle and the original carb had two, needless to say when I adjusted the float to spec, it was to high and was running out of gas. After adjusting the accelerator pump and linkage three times, I gave up and looked at the old parts I took out and low and behold found the extra washer. So after installing the extra old washer and readjusting the float it ran like a champ. Just some thing to keep in mind.:)

maybe you guys can help. just rebuilt my carter bbd on my 81 cj AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . fuel doesnt come out the ventris now, just the fuel discharge jets. engine runs fine, just want the carb running correctly. put the carb back together exactly how it came apart, so i dont know what the problem is.

maybe you guys can help. just rebuilt my carter bbd on my 81 cj AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . fuel doesnt come out the ventris now, just the fuel discharge jets. engine runs fine, just want the carb running correctly. put the carb back together exactly how it came apart, so i dont know what the problem is.
This is how it should be if you seen fuel dripping out of the venturis then your venturis where clogged up, which is common with the bbd,this is what mine did before if rebuild and cleaned the carb and venturis out good. You should be idling smoother now also then before.:)

so do the ventris kic in at high rpms or what. this carb went back together waaay to easy as ive never rebuilt one before.

so do the ventris kic in at high rpms or what. this carb went back together waaay to easy as ive never rebuilt one before.
Not positive about this but I believe the venturis cluster openings are for idling only as the air is sucked into the air horn and though the carb it causes a little vacuum and pulls the gas out of the float bowl. Then as the throttle is pressed the accelerator pump kicks in extra fuel though the cluster holes in the middle of the carb thoat to start the acceleration, on the base plate of the carb where your mixture screws are there is little slots above the mixture screws that are above the throttle plates that suck the gas into the carb. The air flowing though the carb pulls the gas thought the venturis cluster down to the base plate though the slots at the base plate you should not see any gas coming out of the venturis holes in the throat of the carb except at the beginning of opening of the throttle. If I'm wrong can someone else here on this site with more knowlege can cime in and correct me.:)

1986CJ7, noticed in your profile you have the t-177. is the rebuild kit the same as the T-176 ?

1986CJ7, noticed in your profile you have the t-177. is the rebuild kit the same as the T-176 ?
Oh, I must have made a typo in my profile. I have a T-176 thanks I'll have to change that.:p

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom