Single cab CJ7

Single cab CJ7

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
Can I put a top off of a CJ8 on my CJ7 and use the back of my jeep as a truck bed because I don't have back seat any way.. Tell me what you know :chug:

Yes, but the problem with those tops is they don't (easily) accommodate a full roll cage (CJ7 or CJ8 )
CJ_w_CJ8_5_Hard_Top_76_78_Roll_bar.sized.jpg

Im not so sure about the stock CJ7 roll bar either...depending on the year :confused:

Im not so sure about the stock CJ7 roll bar either...depending on the year :confused:
Your right. The roll bar is too close to the seat.

The CJ7 's with the rollbar that only sat on top of the tub, I think it's 76-79 (maybe 80) will work. Whatever year it was that AMC moved the rollbar to attach to the tub directly behind the seats, to accomodate shoulder belts, won't work with the Scrambler half-cab and bulkhead.

Yes, but the problem with those tops is they don't (easily) accommodate a full roll cage (CJ7 or CJ8 )
CJ_w_CJ8_5_Hard_Top_76_78_Roll_bar.sized.jpg

Now that's cool. You don't see that every day! I might look into this. That way I would have a place to put a deer or something I don't won't in the jeep with me.

Looks kool but not new, people have been doing that with CJ5 soft tops for 60 years.

I built a top like that for my CJ2a while I was in high school. Then while in the military, I bought a CJ5 that had an "Arctic" 1/2 top. All metal. very well insulated and very heavy. But it stayed warm in there with only body heat in the Idaho winters, so it must have worked good up North! LOL

Companies used to make half cab enclosures long before the scrambler was even thought of.

koenig.jpg

sears_catalog_hardtops.gif

So I need a scrambler half top and bulkhead and a roll bar from a 70s jeep that doesn't go to the floor and it all just drops in?

How does the bulkhead go in I have never payed attention to one. Does it just slide in or bolt in?

So I need a scrambler half top and bulkhead and a roll bar from a 70s jeep that doesn't go to the floor and it all just drops in?

How does the bulkhead go in I have never payed attention to one. Does it just slide in or bolt in?
That's right. You need a roll bar that mounts to the top of the wheel well. Some CJs from the '70 had those.
Then you need the hard top and bulkhead for a scrambler. If you have trouble finding the top or bulkhead there is a company call Gr8Tops that makes those tops and bulkheads. They fit CJ7s and CJ8s. The entire kit is $1350 plus shipping.
CJ-8/CJ7 Half Hardtop Kit
If you find a top and all you need is the bulkhead then it's $266
OEM CJ8 Replacement Bulkhead

That's right. You need a roll bar that mounts to the top of the wheel well. Some CJs from the '70 had those.
Then you need the hard top and bulkhead for a scrambler. If you have trouble finding the top or bulkhead there is a company call Gr8Tops that makes those tops and bulkheads. They fit CJ7s and CJ8s. The entire kit is $1350 plus shipping.
CJ-8/CJ7 Half Hardtop Kit
If you find a top and all you need is the bulkhead then it's $266

haha I found this website while you posted this. Thanks though. I might get one of their bulk heads. Im going to look for a old faded used top and put hurculiner on it and clean it up real nice. I figure why buy a new one when I can get an old one back on the road. And it will be super easy for me to get one of those roll bars. :chug:

When I get home from the beach im just going to half to get off the cash and go get a top and roll bar from the salvage jeep place :(

How dos the bulk head install?
The GR8TOPS bulkhead fits just like the original and only requires that you pre-drill the holes before mounting. GR8TOPS recommends using foam and/or silicone sealant if you wish to semi-permanently mount the bulkhead into place for weather resistance. If you wish to permanently mount the bulkhead into place, we recommend using a urethane-based body seam sealer to seal the bulkhead into place before spraying bedliner or repainting your CJ8 .
This OEM bulkhead will probably NOT fit most fiberglass bodies

Thanks, I already have bed liner in my jeep is that going to make it hard to seal? Or will silicone work good on bed liner?

Thanks for your post!

I played around for a min and this is kinda what it would look like. Do yal think it looks weird or good?

IMG_0016.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom