SMittybilt YJ Bumper?

SMittybilt YJ Bumper?

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
A buddy is offering this to me for 100 it looks cool and I want but: Is it worth 100? Will it mount onto my CJ with little to no modifications? Will I be able to Retain my winch plate and winch?
IMG00010-20100428-1124.jpg
IMG00015-20100501-0847.jpg
IMG00016-20100501-0847.jpg
IMG00017-20100501-0847.jpg
My current Limited Bumper
clutch.jpg

Just me, But I like your current bumper better then the chrome '80s tube bumper.

You think? You are the second person to say "80's tube bumper" lol its an 80s cj haha. Hmm maybe your right though. I thought it looked cool on the Yj but maybe it sticks out a little too far.

tube bumpers, mullets and bell bottoms, Items we all wish we had never heard of. But wore them proudly till we found out better.

ok, now first the frame of a YJ is wider than your CJ so no it will not mount up with out some mods
second, if it is an old Smitty built it is worth a bit, but anything built by the company that bought Smittybuilt is pure Junk
Seems Smitty could not remember where his hootus belonged, and his wife took offense to that, and sued him for 1/2 of the company. Well he had to ell the rights to the name to come up with the money and they put our pure Chinese bottom shelf JUNK anymore.

looks to me like it will bolt up look at the mounting tabs it has 2 sets of holes at different widths my guess is that if you measured the width of your frame and the width of the inner holes on the mounting tab they will line up. but personally i'd leave it alone. now the newer smaller diameter tube bumpers look pretty good to me

Speaking of thoes mounting tabs, they look pretty weak.

Hmm I am still going to get an upclose look but it seems like if I get either way I will be a Jeep-cj.com leper lol. i think the bumper is meant to be cosmetic. You guys have almost talked me out of it, Infact i am slightly ashamed I ever liked it lol :eek:

The only one that matters is you. I you like it go for it, after all most of us old timers probaly had a tube bumper at one time. I did.
Just reread baja's post, if its a newer bumper it's junk and will be a pile of rust before you know it.
It SHOULD work with your winch, but it looks like it's going to be sharing the one mounting bolt so :confused:
Be your own man we won't hate you for it. :D

Guy, do not let our view of style affect your view. Tube bumpers where the Shiznit a decade or 2 back, and they were on most jeeps out there. I am currently taking them off my 67, infact the rear bumper had the side made so you could use the rear corner tire mount on this tube bumper. I thought that was a cool feature. Now I do not want a tube bumper now days, but Being a classic CJ I run white wagon wheel rims. Just how friggin out of style low life, redneck back woods of a guy would be caught dead with White Wagon Wheels today? I have them because back in the day it was required.
The warning about Smitty built stands though, The company was about 16 miles from my house, we all knew where they were and every Jeep business out here got parts direct from them. When he got caught with his pants around his ankles, it was local gossip. Anyway we watched it go from a very respected company to out of business to resurfaced and selling junk. If that bumper is over a few years old, go for it but if it has been made in the last 2 or 3 years, shy away.

Guy, do not let our view of style affect your view. Tube bumpers where the Shiznit a decade or 2 back, and they were on most jeeps out there. I am currently taking them off my 67, infact the rear bumper had the side made so you could use the rear corner tire mount on this tube bumper. I thought that was a cool feature. Now I do not want a tube bumper now days, but Being a classic CJ I run white wagon wheel rims. Just how friggin out of style low life, redneck back woods of a guy would be caught dead with White Wagon Wheels today? I have them because back in the day it was required.
The warning about Smitty built stands though, The company was about 16 miles from my house, we all knew where they were and every Jeep business out here got parts direct from them. When he got caught with his pants around his ankles, it was local gossip. Anyway we watched it go from a very respected company to out of business to resurfaced and selling junk. If that bumper is over a few years old, go for it but if it has been made in the last 2 or 3 years, shy away.

How do I tell if this is good smittybilt or not? Do the new ones still have that smitty bilt CA stamp like this one has?? I mean I agree that the mounts look a tad flimsy but the bumper will not be taking and of the weight of winch or be used to tow the vehicle. I currently don't have a place for recovery points (aside from the winch) currently anyhow so that may be something to look into also.

Ask the owner how old it is

It's so........ simple. No seriously how do I tell because this came with the yj so I don't he knows
I would imagine, that the thing is older because no one puts a bumper on a Jeep to sell it, especially a YJ.
Now, do I know a little secret way to date bumpers, yes
you get a cauldron out with a big fire under it
put in 5 gallons of water'
2 pints skunks blood
4 newt eyes
Seven teas spoons of scale of dragon
1 leg of lamb chewed on by pirana
6 stirs to the left, 5 stirs to the right
blow softly into the brew as you spoon out a cup and a half into a silver chalis, put in a sprinkle of mares mane and drink
Your answer will come upon you as you sleep.
Simple

I would imagine, that the thing is older because no one puts a bumper on a Jeep to sell it, especially a YJ.
Now, do I know a little secret way to date bumpers, yes
you get a cauldron out with a big fire under it
put in 5 gallons of water'
2 pints skunks blood
4 newt eyes
Seven teas spoons of scale of dragon
1 leg of lamb chewed on by pirana
6 stirs to the left, 5 stirs to the right
blow softly into the brew as you spoon out a cup and a half into a silver chalis, put in a sprinkle of mares mane and drink
Your answer will come upon you as you sleep.
Simple
Oh cool sounds good. I went down to my local ALchemy shop and the only problem is that the OIL spill in the gulf has killed all the pirana so we can't get any to chew on the lamb. Is there any substitute for that?

Get the bumper! You know you want to. This is what mine looks like. It was on the Jeep when I bought it.

IMAG0001_1.jpg

See I like it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom