snorkle?

snorkle?
well i live in florida so bahamas pretty much, we have deep water and ive seen my bodies hoods go under just screwing around after it rained but jeeps arent chevys so i wouldnt be as lucky
i dont have $300 for a snorkle so how can i do tis relatively cheap to get the most water avoidence?
and to go with your list of other things to protect, dielectric grease will save all the connectors and distibutor (which can be dryed out!) the computers are water proof (been there sank that) the only other thing would be the gas cap (yes thats been under on my jeep too), everything else it relativly easy and safe, and i dont mean to say that as a smartass I know they wont hold water for ever but long enough it good enough (atleast until i get my scuba liscence then itll really be fun!
and thanks for stoping the over grown children LOL

WR if you are really looking to pursue this and don't want to buy the kit, not sure what part of Florida you live in, but if you are close to the Naples area, the track that they race the Swamp Buggy's at is there, if you go over there on an event weekend and talk to some of the guy's there I am sure they can tell you how to truely make your Jeep Water tight, heres the link Swamp Buggy Races, Naples Florida they have a Jeep class that runs, in my mind if there is anyone that can truely help you out on design they are going to be down there.

now here is a guy that needed a snorkel...

fuel injection my freind, im rollin in the 90s

well i live in florida so bahamas pretty much, we have deep water and ive seen my bodies hoods go under just screwing around after it rained but jeeps arent chevys so i wouldnt be as lucky
i dont have $300 for a snorkle so how can i do tis relatively cheap to get the most water avoidence?
and to go with your list of other things to protect, dielectric grease will save all the connectors and distibutor (which can be dryed out!) the computers are water proof (been there sank that) the only other thing would be the gas cap (yes thats been under on my jeep too), everything else it relativly easy and safe, and i dont mean to say that as a smartass I know they wont hold water for ever but long enough it good enough (atleast until i get my scuba liscence then itll really be fun!
The best way I have ever found to get through high water is to AVOID IT!

Very rarely have I ever seen a spot that I could not avoid... Why get stuck or watered if it 'looks cool'... Sorry - that is not what my 'wheeling' is about... :) It's for getting from point A to point B - regardless of what I need to get there - be it going around the 'deep' hole if needed...

Tread lightly is my motto!

One more thing! You need to check / change your dif and Transmission fluid once submerged unless you have a positive displacement system (air injection), all fluids once under water become contaminated... :(

I suppose I should look at one some day but untill then, how do they route the pipe out of the engine compartment? is it a question of making a big notch in the hood or cutting a hole in the fender?:confused:

It depends the army had a notch out of the hood, but all the civilian snorkels I've seen use a hole in the lower side panel of the front passenger side front fender

View attachment 1447

View attachment 1448

View attachment 1449

View attachment 1450

View attachment 1451
Coldwater started it!! :D

The best way I have ever found to get through high water is to AVOID IT!

Very rarely have I ever seen a spot that I could not avoid... Why get stuck or watered if it 'looks cool'... Sorry - that is not what my 'wheeling' is about... :) It's for getting from point A to point B - regardless of what I need to get there - be it going around the 'deep' hole if needed...

Tread lightly is my motto!

I was forced in to 5 feet of water during hurricane "Ike". I was driving my 97'Ford F-350 diesel. On my particular truck that's headlight deep. Thank God it had no ill effects. I drained all the fluids but could see no sign of water incursion. I have my vent lines from the axles Transmission & Transfer Case run to the air cleaner box.

This is a "Home Depot" sourced snorkel.

PM sent to WR.
FYI - One of the great features of the forum is that notices of a PM are emailed and also pop up when the user logs in...

A public note isn't necessary - but you can make one if you want! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom