So many choices

So many choices

pauld3

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1992 Cherokee, 1976 cj5
So getting a 66 CJ5 and probably going with a 350 sbc and th 350 Transmission , no idea on Transfer Case , and want power steering and power brakes. No idea on what axles are under it yet ( dont pick it up till sat ) does this sound like the right track, have read that sbc not great on early cj5s due to room im guessing. Im new to cjs and this will not be an all out trail rig more daily driver and weekend toy and will probably end up as the sons first car so want it to be pretty reliable. we are planning on redoing it from the ground up and any recommenditions are appreciated.
thanks
paul

So getting a 66 CJ5 and probably going with a 350 sbc and th 350 Transmission , no idea on Transfer Case , and want power steering and power brakes. No idea on what axles are under it yet ( dont pick it up till sat ) does this sound like the right track, have read that sbc not great on early cj5s due to room im guessing. Im new to cjs and this will not be an all out trail rig more daily driver and weekend toy and will probably end up as the sons first car so want it to be pretty reliable. we are planning on redoing it from the ground up and any recommenditions are appreciated.
thanks
paul

I've done the Chevy V8 swap it's very common, either self fab'ed or Many people make kits. Like "Novak" & "Advaned Adapters". I've used both & they are of high quality. I have never built a automatic rig & a 80" wheelbase might be on the tight side.

The only clearence issues I have with my sbc conversion is the amount of space between fan and radiator. It is very tight! I eventually want to install an electric fan. Mine is a 68' Good luck on your project. Son's first vehicle? Wow, lucky kid!

thanks for the support. I would like a manual over the automatic but kinda out voted on that one. hes going to get just as dirty as i am maybe more, should we go with a d 18 Transfer Case or any other ideas,

thanks paul

You have to go with a D18 or a offset Transfer Case as your CJ has offset diffs. If you change to centered transcase you will have to change the rear diff... :)

I hate to be the bummer of the party here but, a CJ5 is a handful for a first time driver. Now add a chevy V8 and it's a handful for even old time drivers.:eek:

Otherweise it sounds like a fun father son project.:chug:

Well I knew they could be but always thought that was due to set up. The ones I had driven were always raised pretty good. is it something that can be addressed in the build. Nothing is wrote in stone on the v8 just what we have around. And more economical to build. If its too bad he can drive my cherokee and ill drive it till he's more mature.

th350 with a Dana 20 t-case novak makes an adapet and it'll help with space.
Plus it's and easy rebuild and is all gears.

A 66 with a v8 could have some teething problems, as mentioned that fan will be way close to the radiator and I have seen them collide when the drive train moves during wheeling, I would suggest moving the radiator a bit forward and getting an electric pusher fan.

well theres an 94 bonneville at work the guy didnt pay his bill on 2 years ago that i could get for whats owed on his bill. it has a 3.8 and its complete so could get all modules needed to swap into the jeep, hook that to the th350 could be cool, fuel infected and all.

I think that would be a pretty cool combo! Small and potent! :)

The rear drive shaft could be a problem (length), but I bet a good CV shaft and some great engine placement could take care of that... :)

well theres an 94 bonneville at work the guy didnt pay his bill on 2 years ago that i could get for whats owed on his bill. it has a 3.8 and its complete so could get all modules needed to swap into the jeep, hook that to the th350 could be cool, fuel infected and all.

That would solve your clearance problems. I wonder if the factory 231Cid buick motor mounts would work?

The 3.8 would be a good swap, however with the th350 you would be limiting amount of lift you could put in it. 2 to 3 inches will be about all. about the motor mounts, in 66 jeep welded in 2 set of mount trees, one for a 4 popper and one for a v 6, now seeing as the v6 was a popular engine in the 60s till 71, you can find one to do mearurements from to set up the engine in fatory position, another thing is you do have a lot of space with the v6 in the front so when you go to put it in you can mocve it forward and get pack some of the space you lose with the th350
when you look for a th350 get one that is from a 4x4, that way the conversion is going to be cheap to the jeep Transfer Case , under 5 Benjamins, then once mounted you can moce the tranny and Transfer Case mounts to where you end up and 5 to six more Benjimins and you will have the new driveshafts youwill need and all is good.

I hate to be the bummer of the party here but, a CJ5 is a handful for a first time driver. Now add a chevy V8 and it's a handful for even old time drivers.:eek:

Otherweise it sounds like a fun father son project.:chug:

2X on this, I had always thought I would give my CJ to my daughter but when the time came I decided I couldn't do it to either of them.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom