So my cj5 is being a piece and not starting when it ran fine last night!

So my cj5 is being a piece and not starting when it ran fine last night!

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So last night i drove my CJ5 around and it was fine then i parked it in the garage and then this morning i went and bought a new lower radiator hose and drained the fluid out and put it all back together and dumped the fluid back in there now it will barely start and the only way i can get it to start is with gas down the carb and when i do that it runs like :dung: and shakes like a son of a bitch so i dont know what is going on and im quite annoyed

You really need to fill out your info as we have no idea what you have in your jeep.
Is the choke working?

You really need to fill out your info as we have no idea what you have in your jeep.
Is the choke working?

sounds like maybe you got some dirt in the carb from your last drive. pop the top off and check the float bowl for sediment. if its in there, clean out the idle jets and blow it out with carb cleaner.

May also want to check your fuel filter..Is it getting any fuel to the carb?

Sorry about not filling out what i have guys i was just really mad its a 1977 CJ5 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline 6 and a 3 speed and the only thing i havent changed is the fuel filter but i was talking to 2L and he seemed to think it was my ignition coil because when it does start it runs like hell and shakes like it has a big block in it. and i dont know if it has a choke where would it be if it did?

Mylittlecj5 and kicknjeep both have good ideas.
As for the choke it's that flap in the top of the carb, it should be closed when cold and it should open when the engine warms up.
You should have had to push it open to dump gas in the carb.

You have done nothing else to this CJ lately besides change the radiator hose? No electrical work or ignition work over the past month? No tune-ups or parts changes?

The reason I am asking is if you have - a new part could have broken.

You have done nothing else to this CJ lately besides change the radiator hose? No electrical work or ignition work over the past month? No tune-ups or parts changes?

The reason I am asking is if you have - a new part could have broken.

Well i did a tune up such as new spark plus wires rotor and cap you dont think it could be any of those? could it?

Well i did a tune up such as new spark plus wires rotor and cap you dont think it could be any of those? could it?

Check the firing order. If you got any of the plug wires on the wrong plug or in the wrong distributor cap hole it'll do just what you described.

plug wires were changed, Then that's where I would start also because it is the easiest thing in the world to do to put them on in wrong order. Here is your firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4. But I believe that if it was out of order you would have more than just running bad ( snap,crackle,and pop comes to mind). And every ign box of mine just died quick with no warning.

I'll bet thats it. When replacing the wires they should be done one by one in order to make sure you dont get them out of order. Most likely thats what happened.
Check the firing order. If you got any of the plug wires on the wrong plug or in the wrong distributor cap hole it'll do just what you described.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom