some good and some bad on my cj

some good and some bad on my cj

brian613

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ5 amc 304 Np 434 tranny twin sticked dana 20 transfer scout II dana 44's locked front and rear with 4.88 gears
i got a 77 CJ5 and like most Cj's theres more things that dont work than do... or so i thought..

i had some extra time on my hands yesterday and decided to take the dash apart the reasons are
1 heater dose not work
2 wipers dont work and cant get to the wires
3 fuel gauge and temp gauges don't work.. can get to wires but cant get the speedo cluster out with dash in

so after about 10 min of crossing fingers and unscrewing all the rusted star bolts they all came out without breaking or stripping (dose not happen often so a happy dance was warranted)

get the dash out as far as i can without removing the steering wheel and what do i see the wires for the wipers arnt even hooked up.. thinking that cant be all it is i hook it up and they still didnt work but when i hooked it straight to the battery they came to life both high and low
biggrin.gif
so that probelm is only the switch....

hunting for the heater wires i see there hooked up but... the power wire to the switch is no where to be found the tab it hooks to is gone also... jump the heater high and low side and what do you know both com to life... so im 2 for 2 on my list i wanted to trouble shoot for the day and am excited because its not gonna cost me as much $ to fix as i thought..

get the speedo cluster out disassemble open up the fuel gauge (after tracing the wires to the sending unit) and its all fried inside
frown.gif
so thats why the fuel gauge dose not work.. get the temp gauge apart and it looks good but has 1 broken wire in it i make a quick jumper and it comes to life but it was only a temp fix but i know what the issue is with that also..

all in all it was a good day for the Cj but i did find out im in need of a windshield frame in a bad way...

It's always nice to be pleasently surprised :chug:

Windshield frames aren't to costly I need one for my jeep and have found them on JC Whitney for a couple hundred bucks. use the link at the top of the web site and it helps support the site.

I bought a frame for my jeep not long ago it was nice but the stock 1 piece rubber didn't like to fit once the glass was installed it took alot of work.

welcome to the beatiful word of cjs lol.

where did everyone get there windshield frames from and what condition were they in.. ive heard bad things about jcwhitny and quadrateck windshield frames has everyone had the same experiance?

Great question! My Jeep has a cheap one on it which is shot and needs to be replaced as well. Doe's anyone sell one fully assembled so you don't have to screw with inserting the glass? Are the fiberglass ones worth the cost?

Do either one of you guys check Craigslist looking for one close in your area? How about searching for local Jeep clubs? Alot of repop frames are China cheap. I got a nice one awhile back from a Jeep club member for $80 with glass and all. Alot of Jeepers help other Jeepers out. Not everyone is out there to make a $$$.

i have a line on a good Yj frame with all the wiper arms and such for $50 looking over what it will take to get it to work.. if i am reading things correctly only thing i should have to mod on the frame is for the defrost vents... but for that ammount it dont matter...

Last edited:
Not sure if it would frost. Never purchased the one i posted. Just thought it was neat. I purchased my new windshield and frame together for $299. It was simple, it came with glass already installed. Simply bolt on. Mine hasn't frosted up yet, of course it has been sitting in a wooden crate in my garage for a year!!!

Not sure if it would frost. Never purchased the one i posted. Just thought it was neat. I purchased my new windshield and frame together for $299. It was simple, it came with glass already installed. Simply bolt on. Mine hasn't frosted up yet, of course it has been sitting in a wooden crate in my garage for a year!!!

That sounds like a fair deal. I am thinking I will have the frame painted before I put the glass in and I am considering insulating the frame as well.:cool:

I can't remember which company I purchased it from, but if I come accross it I'll post the link for you. So, you're saying you want to purchase the frame and glass separately? :confused:
The company I purchased it from had the option of the frame already painted. Not a big variety of colors, but sure saves time. I got mine in black.

Last edited:
I can't remember which company I purchased it from, but if I come accross it I'll post the link for you. So, you're saying you want to purchase the frame and glass separately? :confused:

That’s what I have in mind, and the speedglass is a possibility. I need to e-mail them and find out a bit more about it for that price.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom