SR-4 transmission REBUILD or REMOVE

SR-4 transmission REBUILD or REMOVE

jason11673

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7 I6 AMC 258 with SR-4 Tranny and Dana 300 Transfer case
I have an SR4 Tranny in my CJ7 with a DANNA 300 Transfer Case I here lots of bad things bout the SR4 . Looking at cost to have rebuilt at around 800.00. Would it be cheaper to put a different Transmission in there. if so are there any that will bolt up, and use the Dana 300 . Automatic or Manual.

I always love to answer these questions. :D What it really comes down to is how you plan to use your CJ and what you want to spend. There isnt any real "cheap" Transmission swap that will be an upgrade for you.

The transmissions of the 80s era Cjs were pretty weak. The only one worth keeping is the T-176 . That would be the least expensive swap if you can find one in good condition along with the bell housing and driveshafts. You could potentially swap the SR4 to a T-176 for the same amount.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/

Post what your looking to do with your CJ and it'll be a bit easier for us to tell what your looking for. :)

Cheaper is not actually what I was meaning. Is it a waste of money would be more accurate. I am planning on putting up to 6" of lift on my CJ. Going to be using it for joy rides with my boys and may go off-road some times for like trail rides. Definately not doing any mudd bogs. In the future thinking about putting ford axels under it, way down the road.

Cheaper is not actually what I was meaning. Is it a waste of money would be more accurate. I am planning on putting up to 6" of lift on my CJ. Going to be using it for joy rides with my boys and may go off-road some times for like trail rides. Definately not doing any mudd bogs. In the future thinking about putting ford axels under it, way down the road.

HAve you looked into the AX-15. Its a medium duty Transmission used in the YJ and some TJ's (I beleive) Ive put a few in older YJ's and if you get the version with the smaller diameter input it should just bolt up. It is a 5 speed and has a hydraulic clutch system. Its a 23 spline out put with the NP circle pattern so you can bolt your 300 right up... Although you may need to get a clocking ring to turn the Dana 300 up some.. I hear they sit alittle lower.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom