SR4 Tranny Swap

SR4 Tranny Swap

ShepsCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7 called The Captain
I know this was probably covered before. I searched but could not find anything. Now for my question.

Is there a direct swap or very little, I do mean little modding to get a different Transmission in my CJ? I have a SR4 that pops out of gear and is generally a crappy Transmission . I want to know if I can go to a junk yard get a tranny and swap it in my Jeep. I do a little off roading but no rock crawling, mainly mud and trails. I just want a cheap fix for now.

Your cheapest fix is going to be swapping in another Sr 4. I think your gonna have a hard time finding a Cj in a junk yard with a T-176 . If thats a possibility though you will need to grab the driveshafts as well. There isnt really an easy and cheap way to upgrade unless you know someone who has the Transmission and such cheap and complete.

Thanks for the info. I have been reading and came to conclusion that it will be more involved then just getting another tranny from a junk yard. I am collecting parts to do a complete rebuild / restore, but my house repairs come first. In the mean time I can still drive it, just fixed a brake light wiring problem tonight, did new brake lines all around this past weekend, scored some sweet seats out of an old 71 dodge van, 30 bucks for the pair. So is not a total loss, I can enjoy it the summer, just no hard muddin. You have to love a jeep with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . It sat up for around a year, sprayed some carb cleaner in, jump pack on the batter and drove it around back to my shop under its own power to do the brakes. Going strong ever since.

when i thought i had a T-4 in my jeep i had planned on swapping in a T-18 out of a ford. i done some research and asking around on another forum and found out that a T-18 with the adapter is the same length as the T-4 /SR4 so you wouldn't have to do any driveshaft mods but the adapter is $500, but you get a heay duty tranny with a granny gear. plus you can reuse your pressure plate but you would have to buy another clutch disc. The bell housing can possibly be drilled and tapped but i was told to find a T-176 bellshousing some of them have the bosses for the T-18 . the amc/jeep 998 or tf727 is a direct bolt in for length to

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom