Starter Solenoid

Starter Solenoid

Casuall454

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ-7 Rambler. 258 I-6, Gear Box Tremec T-176, Transfer Case Dana 300, Axels Dana 30 front 44 rear.
Well after 28 years my original solenoid died and I had to replace it. After the replacement on the first crack the motor started, then the starter kept on cranking. I have a ground wire run to the body as well, to make sure the unit is grounded well.

I have checked some other forums with lots of comments on "bad production lots" I am using NAPA ST-88 any other comments or part numbers that others have used ?

You have it hooked to the acc terminal from my experience. The acc is constant on causing cranking when key is on the on position. I battled this one for weeks with a new wiring kit. Switch terminals and see.

Do you have the 2 smaller wires on the solenoid switched around?
solenoid_2.jpg

The small wire near the battery cable should be red.
The small wire near the starter cable should be Blue.
solenoid.jpg

The pics are great I have the "I" ignition and "S" Starter terminals correct, how ever in BusaDave9 pics you see quick terminals under the stud posts. On mine I have a "Black" wire attached on the Ignition stud or hot with the ignition key in the run & start positions, this wire appears to run back to the distributor (guessing power feed) as it needs juice for both phases crank and run.........I stopped this post to try again.

Update its 1am, my eyes are dim I can not see and the solenoid is still holding closed or cranking. I did the old Ford fix of "tapping" the solenoid while the motor was cranking, after doing this 3 times the starter disengaged motor still running. Crank again, starter stayed engaged after 4 taps, the starter disengaged. I'm going with bad solenoid

Thanks everyone, going back to NAPA tomorrow, get replacement will update tomorrow.

Ok folks here we go simple fix for simple problem..... of course

I am using NAPA ST-88 which is for a 24 volt unit Jeep....... The olde guy with grey hair = wisdom says. Son you need an ST-81 for a 12 volt system.

I have replaced this with NAPA ST-81 and she runs like a champ, thanks to everyone for the pics and posts. Hoping my lesson saves another a headache.

Nice, congrats!!!!!!

It's always great to hear how a problem is finally fixed. Some of these threads start and we never know what actually fixed the problem or if it was ever fixed. Thanks for the feed back.

Tommy

newbie question, but how can I determine if my solenoid is bad? Obviously it won't start, but my meter is showing 12 volts and the headlights work etc...

drove it 2 days ago and parked it, and it is making one click when i turn the key... what else can I track down while it is in the parking lot at work with basic tools?

Looks like the parts are only $12-15 at napa anyway, might be my first try.

its an '83 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Just because the meter is showing 12V, doesn't mean the battery is good. A bad cell will show good, then when you crank it, the voltage will drop like a rock.
Before you start throwing parts at it, check the battery voltage with a meter while cranking the engine over. let us know what it says then...

Just because the meter is showing 12V, doesn't mean the battery is good. A bad cell will show good, then when you crank it, the voltage will drop like a rock.
Before you start throwing parts at it, check the battery voltage with a meter while cranking the engine over. let us know what it says then...
MyLittleCJ5 has an excellent point. A voltage test won't tell you if the battery is good. Do as he says, or bring it to a parts store they can do a load test to make sure it's good.
The battery sounds like the problem (clicking sound)

So before reading this reply, I decided I was going to jump my starter solenoid... but before I did, I turned the key and it fired right up...

PFM I guess, but I am assuming the starter might be on the fritz? That battery seemed like it was putting out plenty headlights and big hellas lit up, and it was just the 1 click when everytime i turn the ignition... not the dead battery constant clicking....

opinions? should i throw a new starter or solenoid in or wait until they actually :dung: the bed?

It doesn't sound like the starter is on the fritz. It sounds more like it was a bad connection. Did you pull on any connection, such as the battery terminals?

I had the same issue with a 69 Bronco. Battery voltage was good and lights worked. Turn the key and "click", nothing. After the 75th time of doing the foot dance from getting out of the drivers seat to under the hood and back again.... I did the dumbest thing ever. I grabbed the battery cables and yanked a bit on them after saying a few vulgar workds and then though.. "instead of climbing back into the drivers seat... let me just try and hit the key".... This was before nutral safety switches were around...... and the Bronco had no emergency brake..... the only thing holding it in place was the fact that it was in gear...in reverse.... and parked behind the Bronco was my Mustang. Lets just say it was not a pretty sight....
Hit the key... the 302 fired right up and the door pushed me backwards to the ground.... CRASH.. trailer hitch right though the musang.

Many a lessons learned the hard way on this one. .....

But yes.. check the connections at the battery.... make sure they are clean and not full of white sulfur... or even loose.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom