Starts/idols great! Then lags, sputter and stalls at 35mph

Starts/idols great! Then lags, sputter and stalls at 35mph

noy2014

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 258, 258 6cyl; Weber Carb 32/36 DGEV; Automatic
A little background; I recently installed a new Painless Wiring Harness, naturally bypassing the computer. I replaced a NEW Distributor+cap, fuel hoses and filter in the engine, and running a Weber 32/36 DGEV.

The temp gauge is not working, might be an old bad connector. The oil pressure gauge are not working, and I have no clue why. These might be irrelevant, but nevertheless concern me to drive like that.

The Jeep starts up and idols like a champ! But then lags, sputters then stalls at about 35mph, which might actually be related to hitting a specific RPM.

I've inspected the spark plugs, and all 6 look as follows;
http://noyhadar.com/blog/1986-jeep-c...-6cyl-258.html

So I replaced them with some a basic Champion set. Made no difference! The wires look solid and relatively new, no cracks. The points distributor, has a single black wire which I have connected to the green "coil-" wire. I've been told this is a ground wire, but if I disconnect from green coil-, it will not start.

What else can I do to get over 35mph without sputtering and stalling?? :mad:

Last edited:
Had a similar problem once. Turned out I pinched fuel line when I had re-installed the gas tank. Re-check your lines for a crimp, bend or pinch..

Had a similar problem once. Turned out I pinched fuel line when I had re-installed the gas tank. Re-check your lines for a crimp, bend or pinch..

Really?? Which is something I also did recently. And that would cause it act up at a particular speed or RPM?

I had similar problems with total power drop and slight backfire, mine was timing. Just another thing to look at!

Sounds like a fuel problem to me also.

fuel problem or timing advance is bad.. hook a vacuum pump to it and see if it moves..

My vote is timing. I had the same problem with my 134 hurricane until I put in the electronic distributer and adjusted the timing. By the way, I highly recommend the Pertronics electronic distributer. Never have to worry about points again.

I vote fuel delivery issue... Sounds like its fine until you need more fuel or fine until you get too much fuel...

You said you put a webber on there, are you running a pressure regulator for the fuel? Webbers like a certain PSI on fuel...

Finicky...

:chug:
~ Jr

It does sound like fuel starvation, but if you don't have any success there, I would look inside the distributor. When the vacuum advance moves the plate in the distributor it can wear a hole in the wire to the points. So every time it moves it shorts out the points and dies.

Does it start right up each time it dies, or do you have to crank it some? If it starts right up it is probably in the distributor. If you have to crank it some it may be fuel.

I found your problem! Because you bypassed the computer, you need to rephase the reluctor in the distributor.

Pm me for details.

Keep it public! Help the next people ;)

I found your problem! Because you bypassed the computer, you need to rephase the reluctor in the distributor.

Pm me for details.
:confused: I'm with JR I would really like to hear this.

Keep it public! Help the next people ;)

Of course, I understand, but the answer is on another site and I thought there was a rule not to link to another site? That's why I said to PM.

Is that right or no?

Thanks.

Bob

How about this.....

If you google "Jeep rotor phasing" you find info on it.

I really enjoy this site and don't want to get throwed out. LOL

Is that another term for the Nutter By-pass?

No I don't think so. I was just reading on another site and saw "phasing", so I clicked on it thinking it was going to talk about driveshafts.

Well it is a process where you cut a hole in the dist cap and use a timing light to watch the advance, then take the reluctor out and move it to make it work correctly.

By passing the computer makes this necessary. That guy had the same problem, jeep dies once he goes down the road, and I thought of this post.

Of course, I understand, but the answer is on another site and I thought there was a rule not to link to another site? That's why I said to PM.

Is that right or no?

Thanks.

Bob
Linking to another site for the benefit of any of our members is just fine, unlike many other sites we encourage the sharing of information. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom