stock alternator output

stock alternator output

1984 CJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 (rebuilt), 5 speed (rebuilt), softtop, Goodyear DuraTrac's
Jus curious as what that number is. I am looking to buy a new one and I think the about buying have 140 amps. Will that be ok? the only thing i am running is a radio.

The stock Alternator is a Delco 10si and it puts out 63 amps. An easy upgrade is the Delco 12si. It has an output of 94 amps. The two use the same frame so no mounting modification are needed.:D

This will explain it all...
Catalog

weird, my alt looks like the 12si and not the 10si. i am basing this off of the fan design. I wonder if the previous owner did this upgrade?

look at the vents on the back side. the 12si has larger vent holes.

Ok, I will check it out. On a sid enote, do I need to take the entire fan assembly off to change my belts?

On a sid enote, do I need to take the entire fan assembly off to change my belts?
You shouldn't have to I have done mine without pulling anything.

I think the about buying have 140 amps. Will that be ok? the only thing i am running is a radio.
No need to get anything bigger than stock if you are running a stock CJ. Those high output alternators take a more to turn. I'm not saying you will get lousy mileage just from an alternator. I'm just saying there's no need to get a high output alternator.

Those high output alternators take a more to turn. I'm not saying you will get lousy mileage just from an alternator. .

Actually there is only a load when it is charging. If the battery is full there is little hp loss.

I went with a 140 amp one-wire. About $100. Cleaned up the engine compartment too. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom