Stock Color or not

Stock Color or not

BSFlyBoy

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a discussion going with a buddy concerning a jeep that I purchased new in 1985. It was purchased in KC and was a dark charcoal gray metallic. It also had some striping on it that said special edition. My friend says that Jeep did not have a color like that in 1985 and actually I agree that it doesn't seem to appear on any color charts that I can find. Does anyone know if Jeep produced such a color and if this may have been a special dealer option? Just trying to get to the bottom and find out if I really blew it selling a rare item back in 91.

Thanks

Charcoal was offered as a color in 1985. From time to time, Jeep would toss out a "special edition" but they were simply a option packages and a stripe or two. They really don't attract any more attention than a regular old jeep CJ model as far as collectability.

There were a few rare models offered in Limited numders that are rare and expensive if you can find them. But the were given names.

Colors are as follows for the 1985 model year.

Almonb beige
Charcoal
Classic black
Dark brown metallic
Dark honey metallic
Garnet metallic
Ice blue metallic
Olympic white
Sebring red
Sterling metallic.

Last edited:
Do you mind if I ask where you found that information? My buddy is rather skeptical:confused:.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a library of books on jeep CJ specs. I pulled your color information from a book called, Jeep collectors library, by Jim Allen. An excellent reference book listing all models, variations, and driveline offerings of the CJ jeep.

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I just ordered the book, it appears to be an amazing reference. Actually bought two, one for the loser!

Any idea if he has a new version coming out? Seems like it is about time for one.

Thanks again.:chug:

Someone else might be able to better answer that question. As I recall from my 85 CJ the Special Edition was just a color, stripe set, and lettering option. It may have included a tire upgrade and the seats were more of a charcoal color as well, but I'm not sure if that was part of it.

I am glad I came across this question and answers. I actually have a friend with this same color jeep and we decided to purchase the book after reading this. Thanks so much for the information.

Here is some trivia for you. The famous Mopar green orange and plum crazy purples from the 1960's era are actually listed in the PPG catalog as AMC colors. Pretty weird huh. i painted my Ex wifes CJ7 plum crazy and that is where the paint store found the color chip, under AMC

There was one year and I think it may have been 85 where the Special Edition badging also came with a cloth fronted seat, and I beleive they only did that for one year. Seems like I read that somewhere about being the only year with cloth seats....JJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks