Stop the rust

Ironmerganser

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 Renegade - stock 258 6 cyl

2003 F250 6.0 diesel

2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 - wifes baby
I have a 1979 CJ7 Renegade . The body is in almost completely solid condition with original paint and decals. The problem I am having is I am getting a little rust starting where the front fenders meet the tub.

I really want to keep the original paint as long as I can. Is there anything I can spray on there or do to keep the rust from progressing....or at least delay it a little?

I have a 1979 CJ7 Renegade . The body is in almost completely solid condition with original paint and decals. The problem I am having is I am getting a little rust starting where the front fenders meet the tub.

I really want to keep the original paint as long as I can. Is there anything I can spray on there or do to keep the rust from progressing....or at least delay it a little?

any thing you do will cause you to strip the rust and mess up your original paint.

remeove the fender and strip off the rust
apply a rust converter to the bare areas
apply a top coat to it as close to the color of your jeep as possible
dont just primer it, most primers will absorb water and start the rust process.

Ive been toying around with the idea of adding some type of thin membrane to the fenders to keep them from direct contacting the tub and hopefully keep it from trapping water and rubbing through.

any thing you do will cause you to strip the rust and mess up your original paint.

remeove the fender and strip off the rust
apply a rust converter to the bare areas
apply a top coat to it as close to the color of your jeep as possible
dont just primer it, most primers will absorb water and start the rust process.

Ive been toying around with the idea of adding some type of thin membrane to the fenders to keep them from direct contacting the tub and hopefully keep it from trapping water and rubbing through.

How about some flexible seam sealer from wurth ? Basically a liquid gasket, although it would not allow for simple removal of the fender, youd have to run a windshield wire (piano wire) through it first, prior to removal. But it would seal it and keep it from rubbing. Just a thought.

there is a post maybe a year ago that covered that ( i looked but couldnt find it)
I think Brock talked about it or was it Busa or Sasquach? which Sasquach's cj is SUPER clean ,makes mine look like a sanford and son flintstone ride
POR-15 is talked about alot (i hear its good) and Upol Raptor
I will keep looking and find my notes that i have taken

found notes ( recommend all take them and read almost all threads)
permatex 81775 rt-8a
someone posted that as a good rust "eater"

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom