T-150 Breather/Vent

T-150 Breather/Vent

woolsocks

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-5 304V8 (originally Golden Eagle)
My Transmission (T-150 ) is leaking fluid through the breather/vent (little metal button type vent). I checked the level and everything seems to be fine (correct level and clean fluid). The Transmission was previously rebuilt and may have been overfilled on the bench.

I have cleaned the Transmission and will continue to monitor the breather/vent for leaks.

Is the breather/vent a part that can wear out and thus would need to be replaced? If so, where can you find a replacement? I have looked from one end of the internet to another looking for the part and information regarding the part. A search for T-150 breather or vent returns very little information. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

From the “been there done that file” the T-150 will also leak from the bolt heads that keep the top on so you might want to check that too and make sure they are sealed. I’ve not done it but the vent must screw in and as water is the enemy to a gear box it couldn’t hurt to remove it and reinstall a fitting then run a hose to a high spot in the engine compartment killing two birds with one stone, water in and oil out.

PS: We both drive the same jeep. Mine's a Golden Eagle too.

Last edited:
My Transmission (T-150 ) is leaking fluid through the breather/vent (little metal button type vent). I checked the level and everything seems to be fine (correct level and clean fluid). The Transmission was previously rebuilt and may have been overfilled on the bench.

I have cleaned the Transmission and will continue to monitor the breather/vent for leaks.

Is the breather/vent a part that can wear out and thus would need to be replaced? If so, where can you find a replacement? I have looked from one end of the internet to another looking for the part and information regarding the part. A search for T-150 breather or vent returns very little information. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

:)The little cap on the tube should be clear and float there in order to allow venting. If its the plastic version some will come in one piece............most do not leak unless there overfilled or somehow become pressurized or you have had that Jeep at an extreme angle lately...........do like Tramp suggested and extend it up via a rubber line....that should be threaded in your case so its just a matter of getting the right fittings to make the extension.
:D:D:D:D

It is not threaded, it is pressed in. I know, I was surprised/dissapointed too, But it is just the right size to run a 1/8" NPT pipe tap into and use a 1/8 male pipe to whatever size barbed hose adapter.:cool:

Thanks for the information and great ideas... I'll give it a look and see what I can mock-up this weekend. Thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom