T-5 tranny issues

T-5 tranny issues

Weavershaw

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7, 67 Kaiser M715
I need some advice. My 86 CJ7 has worn out two T-5 tranny's the same way in 6 months. The failures seems to have been preceded both times by an extended 4th gear run (around 20-30 miles at about 65-75mph). The tranny starts making noise like a lower engine noise, even corisponding with engine speed, but completely disappears in 4th gear. The first time, I limped around for about another two days before a loud bang followed by horrendous vibrations made my swap out the unit. The first tranny, I was using 80w-90 gear oil, and assumed that was the reason for the failure. The second one, I was using Dextron ATF. I changed both types of fluid religiously, and never noticed any signs of water. Any help and advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!:chug:

I need some advice. My 86 CJ7 has worn out two T-5 tranny's the same way in 6 months. The failures seems to have been preceded both times by an extended 4th gear run (around 20-30 miles at about 65-75mph). The tranny starts making noise like a lower engine noise, even corisponding with engine speed, but completely disappears in 4th gear. The first time, I limped around for about another two days before a loud bang followed by horrendous vibrations made my swap out the unit. The first tranny, I was using 80w-90 gear oil, and assumed that was the reason for the failure. The second one, I was using Dextron ATF. I changed both types of fluid religiously, and never noticed any signs of water. Any help and advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!:chug:
The T-5 and the SR/4 are well known P.O.S.. Sorry to be the one to have to break the news to you. I would suggest a swap. A T-176 4 speed is an excellent Transmission for a stock to mildly modified CJ, that's spends most of the time on the street. If you feel more hardcore, I would suggest something like BW T-18 with a compound low first gear. Neither are really cheap solutions, but you won't be replacing them often. A BW T-18 would likely out last the rest of the Jeep.

X2, sorry man, but Longhorn's on the money. They suck. If I were you, I would not go the T/SR4 tranny route again. Take the good advice and locate the far superior T-176 / 177 as a direct swap in. If you can find a good T-18 all the better.

A T-5 is not as bad as an SR4 Its a T-4 with Overdrive .There used in 5.0 Mustangs so they can take some abuse.

I dont know what the problem is but if you want an Overdrive Transmission look at the AX15/nv3500 from a newer YJ/TJ.They are pretty good transmissions with Overdrive and bolt up with minor work.

The T-176 /177 is a great Transmission aswell.The T-18 will reguire an adaptor for the Dana 300 or run the Dana 20 .All options will require driveshaft changes.

Just as i thought my mate was the only one with this problem for sure he will need a loan soon as he keeps replacing short monthly spans.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom