T176 questions

Al Lindner

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 7 258 CID T176
2004 F-150
Hey everybody I got a few questions maybe some one can give me a little advice
I cant seem to line the shift forks up with the rings that they are supposed to ride in. I know I can move the forks but the ring toward the front is too far up to fit the fork down into it. The tranny is in my CJ7 and I would like to be able to keep it there.
When I cranked over the new motor it did start but as I let the clutch out I heard a nasty sound from the Transmission The forks look good and I see no gear damage so my guess is when I put the top back on the T-176 I didnt have them lined up right
I'm probably rambling so what ever advice anyone can give I would be greatful

Hey everybody I got a few questions maybe some one can give me a little advice
I cant seem to line the shift forks up with the rings that they are supposed to ride in. I know I can move the forks but the ring toward the front is too far up to fit the fork down into it. The tranny is in my CJ7 and I would like to be able to keep it there.
When I cranked over the new motor it did start but as I let the clutch out I heard a nasty sound from the Transmission The forks look good and I see no gear damage so my guess is when I put the top back on the T-176 I didnt have them lined up right
I'm probably rambling so what ever advice anyone can give I would be greatful

:)Al,

On your cover there should be shift gates that allow you to find neutral where by the shifter will cross through all positions in a standard H pattern.

In your Transmission it also must be in Neutral to get the cover to go on...........not sure how you got it on to the point it was grinding???

You should be able to reach in the Transmission by hand and perhaps a small bar an align the sliding gears 1-2 & 3-4 to get the gear set into the proper position so the cover goes on while still in Neutral. Take the cover once it's in neutral and lay it up along side the Transmission to see where or which gear has to move............once the Transmission is in neutral you should be able to rotate the main shaft by hand............if either of the syncros are hung up or the reverse idler is not in position it will not go back together.
Did someone rebuild this Transmission or you just took the cover off?
:D:D:D:D

I took the cover off to remove the shifter and replace the socket and spring that hold the lever in place. I dont know the history of this Transmission other than it functioned when I bought the jeep, The engine was running but in a bad way so I put a remanuactured in it new clutch too.

I took the cover off to remove the shifter and replace the socket and spring that hold the lever in place. I dont know the history of this Transmission other than it functioned when I bought the jeep, The engine was running but in a bad way so I put a remanuactured in it new clutch too.

:)Al,
Ok I am assuming what your talking about is either you replaced one of the de-tent balls and springs in the cover that help find neutral???? or the top large coil spring that loads the shifter arm into the cover?

If it was the later did you get the shifter arm back in the correct slots? Again the shifter forks and the detents in the cover need to be in neutral to drop in the shifter arm in its correct location.............It's almost easier to do that once the cover is on the Transmission .
In either case both cover and Transmission have to be in Neutral.
:D:D:D:D

The big spring that holds the shifter in place, I got the top on after taking your advice I think I found the noise issue the bell housing is not pulled up tight to the block

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom