t176

t176

DIG

Jeeper
Thanks
I am swappin a T-176 in and I am having trouble getting it into neutral. How do I move the gears to get it into neutral? Sorry if this doesnt make sense but I am def. not a tranny guy...I am so confused.....:confused::confused:

Is the tranny in, and or did you remove the top case and shifter before you had this problem??

Edit:...Never be sorry about asking a question! Questions are how we learn, and unlike many (most) other sites, we do not belittle or flame anyone for asking! :D

Sound like you have the top off. Use a couple of long screw drivers to slider the forward or backwards on the shaft while wiggling the output shaft.

I had the cover on but my buddy that is helping me said it didnt feel right, so we took the cover off and we cant find nuetral. The motor and Transmission are out but are still mated together. I will give the screw drivers a try CJ thanks! and coldwater thanks, I hate on some sites how they flame you for asking questions it sucks for a persom like me trying to learn. :D but I LOVE THIS SITE!:chug:

~~~I hate on some sites how they flame you for asking questions it sucks for a persom like me trying to learn
One of the nicest things about being new and somewhat small is that we can try and keep those bad habits (flaming) from forming...

Continue to ask away, I guarantee that you'll get answers and suggestions! Hopefully you'll like them! :)

ok so I got to messin with it, I am thinking the shift tower is all messed up. The shifter keeps coming lose. So my next question is is it cheaper to have the tranny rebuilt? or what do you think my other options would be? How much roughly do they charge to rebuild a tranny like this? and can they just rebuild the shift tower?:chug:

OK - I'm a little confused... (as usual! :laugh:)

I thought you were swapping out a Transmission ?

Are you having problems with the 1st or 2nd Transmission ?

What was wrong with the 1st if you are swapping it?

Exactly what do you mean by 'having problems with the shift tower'? Are you saying it jumps out of gear as you are driving? Having problems with it shifting in and out of gear sitting still with or without the engine running? Are you swapping the shifter from one Transmission to another?

Can you look at the picture and let us know what is going on by the numbers? Is the box on the top left what your calling the 'shift tower' - I'm pretty certain it is...

I would hate for you to go through the expense of paying for or doing a rebuild when it is unnecessary... :)

t-176-177-transmission.jpg

OK - I'm a little confused... (as usual! :laugh:)

I thought you were swapping out a Transmission ?

Are you having problems with the 1st or 2nd Transmission ?

What was wrong with the 1st if you are swapping it?

Exactly what do you mean by 'having problems with the shift tower'? Are you saying it jumps out of gear as you are driving? Having problems with it shifting in and out of gear sitting still with or without the engine running? Are you swapping the shifter from one Transmission to another?

Can you look at the picture and let us know what is going on by the numbers? Is the box on the top left what your calling the 'shift tower' - I'm pretty certain it is...

I would hate for you to go through the expense of paying for or doing a rebuild when it is unnecessary... :)

t-176-177-transmission.jpg
I am swapping out my T-150 for a T-176 I bought from a guy her locally. he really didnt know much about it, he had a 100 bucks in it so I got it for that with the Dana 300 . Anyway the T-150 I lost 2nd and 1st was about to go... The T-150 is tossed in the backyard, I am having issues with the T-176 ....I havent had the Transmission in the jeep yet ( the motor is out of the jeep) I mated them up yesterday and the shifter seemed like it was stuck, so I took the tower back off and flipped it over, if you look down in the shifter cover you can see where the shifter keeps popping out, its just kinda hanging out there, so its binding some how. I am reffering to top left box as the shifter tower. Oh and dont worry I feel like I am confusing myself :laugh:

Iv got T-176 and i had the same problem . Thing is i dont have any idea how to explain how i figured it out . But i will suggest next time you take it off to be sure its in neutral and save some frustration . And dont worry i learned the hard way to . My shifttower is cracked where the pins go in to hold the shift lever in . So one of my pins likes to walk out . I had to wire i in till my freind has time to lend me his spool gun to fix it or i find a new one i can aford.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom