T4 to T5 swap -- need help!

T4 to T5 swap -- need help!

TrebleHook

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with 1985 258/Ebay T-5/Dana 300 - twin sticks/AMC 20 Rear 3.73/Dana 30 Front 3.73/Alloy Wide Track Axles/2" Body Lift/Gremlins.....

More to follow....
T-4 to T-5 swap

I thought the T-4 and T-5 were identical transmissions -- i.e., direct bolt in swaps. I was just told that the T-5 that replaced my T-4 didn't line up with the skid plate holes that was used with my T-4 .

Anyone?:confused:

Cheers,
TrebleHook

Last edited:
They should be the same as long as you are using a T-5 from a CJ.
The T-5 was used by other makes. The 2WD version is not easy to swap the tail housing.
Both the T-4 and the T-5 are 15.25 inches long. Between the tranny and TCase there is an adapter plate that goes down to the skid plate and tranny mount. If the T-5 came out of a CJ this plate should be the same. Even if it is different you should be able to keep the T-4 plate. Check out Novak's web site regarding the T-4 /T-5 . The Borg-Warner T4 & T5 Jeep Transmissions - Novak Conversions
How far off are the skid plate holes?
Since both the T-4 and T-5 are 15.25 inches I can't see the skid plate holes being in a different place.

I dont understnd this prob either. I did this swap and it is a direct bolt in. Did the engine shift from crappy engine mounts?

TrebleHook, are there any developments?
That T-5 should swap in place of the T-4 . When you were asking about a replacement tranny I was one that may have said it would be easy. I would like to know if it was any harder than what I said.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom