TBI in North Texas

TBI in North Texas

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
Anyone in the DFW area done the TBI swap on their CJ and might be game to help a guy through it? I have been reading the write ups on it and it looks like a cost effective way to improve the fuel system.

Thanks,
Coach

What TBI are you considering??:cool:

What TBI are you considering??:cool:

Looking at doing the junk yard version. I thought about buying a kit version, like Howell, but wouldn't mind saving money going with the junk yard.

You got that source here.
Grab the wiring harness and a chip from affordable fuel injection. It'll save you time and hair. You grab a 4.3l throttlebody and 747 computer from a late 80's early 90's s10 or s10 blazer. I have a source for the tbi adapter plate, get all the sensors with the throttlebody. You'll replace the bad ones as you see fit. Get a new o2 sensor and electric fuel pump. Rebuild what you need to.
It's stupid easy.
See the thread stuff I thought I'd share in the misc section here on this site. I have tons of info there.
Hit me up as you need help!

Grab the wiring harness and a chip from affordable fuel injection. It'll save you time and hair. You grab a 4.3l throttlebody and 747 computer from a late 80's early 90's s10 or s10 blazer. I have a source for the tbi adapter plate, get all the sensors with the throttlebody. You'll replace the bad ones as you see fit. Get a new o2 sensor and electric fuel pump. Rebuild what you need to.
It's stupid easy.
See the thread stuff I thought I'd share in the misc section here on this site. I have tons of info there.

Thanks, that gives me somewhere to start. I will start making a list from what you provided and will be in touch. Thanks again.

It's stupid easy.

Is there any way you could give me a ballpark figure for the complete swap by section? Looks like the harness and chip will run me about $360.

So that leaves the Throttle body and computer pulled from salvage, TBI adapter plate, and fuel pump as the other main components. Then the little things, gaskets, seals, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to see how long this might take me to pull off.

The throttlebody and computer varies but I got mine for about $50.
The fuel pump will cost the most prob. $90.
Adapter plate is about $50.
The o2 sensor bung a couple bucks.
Try to get it mounted about the same distance down as was on the chevy.
Total about $600 give or take.
More info here:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/

Brother Grimes; Did you use the new ECM for spark control??
Will a new chip be needed if you only do fuel control?
One of the posts you direct to says something to the effect of " if you have a cam or headers you will need a new chip". I am wondering why these would change the optimum fuel/air ratio. The preferred readings of all the sensors would remain the same, I would think.
:cool:

here's a couple threads
www.binderplanet.com you'll have to join forum but worth it

GM TBI Swap

Welcome to diy_efi/efi332

Wiring - Binder Bench

FUEL INJECTION FAQ--Start Here!!!!! - Binder Planet Forums

WinALDL - 160 baud ALDL reader this is for reading info from the computer

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/totw-fuel-injection-229253/ some of the links in this thread are gone but some good info in the thread

http://bistatebinders.com/techinfo/efi/efi.htm

I haven't read all these threads but there is some good info in them

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom