Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974, CJ5, 304 V8
Renegade Yellow
T-15 Transmission
Dana 20 T. Case
Dana 30 Front Axle
Dana 44 Rear Axle
I am going to upgrade my ignition this weekend and have a question, I currently have the excite wire with diode connected to the + side of my current coil ( from Alternator ). I am installing an E core coil and was wondering if I connect the excite wire to this new coil or run it somewhere else?:confused:

Take a look at this thread by JeepHammer.

Ignition Upgrade '78-'90 Jeep, TeamRush Upgrade... - JeepForum.com

Post #4 half way down has a picture of the diode install and the diode # from radio shack you should use... Tried to copy the pic from my hard drive and the thread above and could not copy the pic.... So guess will send you direclty to the "man"

Just looked at mine... but I have split tubing covering all the wires... I do not think the "alternator diode wire" goes to the coil. Will take a look in my FSM to see more cause not sure were it does go

I did the alternator upgrade according to Jeep Hammers schematics, and currently my excite wire with diode is connected to the + side of the coil, I need to know if I can connect this wire to the new E core coil + terminal.

I did the alternator upgrade according to Jeep Hammers schematics, and currently my excite wire with diode is connected to the + side of the coil, I need to know if I can connect this wire to the new E core coil + terminal.

Forgot to ask JeepHammer about this..... I did not think the excite wire goes to the coil at all..... If you have the excite wire going to the ford oil filled coil there is no reason it cannot be attached to the Ford E Coil also.... just not sure if best place to connect the excite wire. Did not see/read any definitive ans in the FSM.

I have the ford e coil installed for 3 yrs or so.... works great with my MSD Ignition.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom