TF727 Automatic shifting problems

TF727 Automatic shifting problems

dabbrowne

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 (AMC 1976 360 5.9L rebuilt) V8 Edelbrock Weber 1406 4 barrel carb with TorqueFlite 727 Auto transmission, 31" tires, Dana 30 Front Diff, Dana 44 Back , Dana 20 T case.
Hello CJ Forum

I have a 1973 CJ5 AMC 304 that was converted (PO) to an Automatic TF727 Transmission and its shifting is very inconsistent. It commonly shifts from 3rd back to 2nd then quickly back to 3rd when I am accelerating from a stop to 40mph. So from a stop it goes 1st to 2nd fine then 3rd then back to 2nd and then to 3rd and from then on it is fine. :mad:

If I shift manually it is fine.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thx
DAB

is it a waggy 727 ? More important how is the Transmission referencing throttle position?

Hello Tinman

Please help the newbie what is a waggy, and how do I determine how the Transmission is referencing throttle position?

Thank you
DAB

Wagoneer or waggys came with 727s . I'm just making sure its a 727 . For throttle pressure there should be either linkage( I hope) or a cable from the carb to the Transmission .

Hello Tinman

Yep I just found it. It is a metal cable from the carb to the Transmission . There is about 1" of slop in the cable. Should it be taut?

From the picture someone told me it is a 727 however I do not see any markings on the Transmission .

Thanks
DAB

Hello Tinman

Yep I just found it. It is a metal cable from the carb to the Transmission . There is about 1" of slop in the cable. Should it be taut?

From the picture someone told me it is a 727 however I do not see any markings on the Transmission .

Thanks
DAB

There is a very specific adjustment procedure for the kick down mechanisms on a TF727, I would suggest looking into getting a Transmission manual that is specific to your tranny. If not done properly, it could cause your tranny to fail. I'm not very familiar with the cable type kickdowns, but the ones with the mechanical linkages a very tricky...

niedhogg is very right not only is it important but adjustment is almost impossible with most aftermarket cables such as lokar . Bouchillon performance is a good site and they have a very good piece that has the correct cam profile that gives the correct throttle pressure. One other option would be to find an early wagoneer and get the mechanical linkage and set it up to factory spec. I went through more than my fair share of 727s from just hooking the cable to the throttle wherever it looked good they usually lasted a while but eventually began acting up and dying. The longest experiment was a cable ,bracket and a piece of throttle lever from a tbi 360 from a one ton van ,it lasted about 2 months

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom