TF999 Auto Tranny question - need an answer fast

TF999 Auto Tranny question - need an answer fast

DHugg

Senior Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ7 304AMC crate with 8KMiles: MC2100 - AMC20 rear w/Superiors - Dana30 front - TF999 - Dana300TC - 35x12.5's - Tilt steer column - Flaming Rvr EZ-Steer Shaft - AGR Super Pump - AGR Super Box II - RockyRidge HD Brace - New home-designed digital TEMP - GAS - OILPR - CALIBRATE gauges.
Yesterday I mounted the tailstock on a TF999 after a seal replacement, and bolted up the Dana 300 Transfer Case with all new guts from NOVAK Adaptors.

The tranny wouldn't shift; locked in PARK

Today I unbolted the whole shebang and reinstalled, being sure to keep the parking selector pawl (see photos) in the right slot.

Now, before I even refill the tranny with ATF, I can get into all tranny positions EXCEPT PARK.

I'm afraid to even ask the question....... can anyone who has experience with the TF999 apart tell me if the parking selector pawl is bent? Sure, it looks bent, but I have never seen the piece in its full extension as you get when the selector (to the photos again) is in D-1. Not a one of the manuals, and I have 1978 through 1984, even mention the possibility or show any picture except the cutaway of the full side profile drawing (last picture).

HELP! HELP! HELP!

It was bent!

After I thought over every step starting with the original install of the TF999 tailstock, I remembered how hard it was to pull up the bolts, after I'd seated a new double-sided oil seal.

Wasn't the oil seal. The Park lever pawl had found an odd corner and bent as you saw it.

When if ever you do this task, put the shift selector in DRIVE 1 to extend the pawl as far as it'll go. Not easy to get the pawl into the slot and under the spring-held jaws, but in DRIVE 1 it is at least possible.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom