Third brake light

micrablue

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1. 85 CJ-7 (Black&Tan)
2. 85 CJ-7 (Beach Yellow&Black)
As you know, CJ's don't have a third brake light. With all the daydreamers out there, I don't want my beauty getting crunched nor do I want to sport a neck brace.

In the spirit of safety, I am putting together a third brake light. My CJ does not have carry a spare, and the hard top does not have one built in.

Has anyone already tackled this safety concern? If so, please post some pics/comments.

Thanks. A few ideas come to mind....

Do you have a hitch receiver? If so, you can get a brake light that fits there for a couple bucks. Alternately, you could get a small red light bar and mount it to the panel under the tailgate and wire it to the existing brake lights.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have a hitch receiver? If so, you can get a brake light that fits there for a couple bucks. Alternately, you could get a small red light bar and mount it to the panel under the tailgate and wire it to the existing brake lights.
The point of a third break light is to have it up higher than your taillights so it is easier to see. I would go to the junk yard and find one you could mount on the inside top of your hardtop so it can be seen thru the backglass or get one off of a truck that you can mount on the outside of your hardtop.

The point of a third break light is to have it up higher than your taillights so it is easier to see.

I don't disagree. My initial thought was to put it on the roll bar before I thought about his hard top. The options I provided were the only ones that immediately came to mind that didn't remove this light if the hard top comes off.

:chug:

Both good points.

I like the red light bar idea; and then also having it up high. I am not sure how the hard top will take to mounting the brake light inside like OEM's do it.

But I was thinking about using the roll bar; that may be easier to mount. However, with a top on, seeing it may become an issue I suppose...

Something simple, like the one below, mounted in the center of your hardtop jumpered in to your brake lights would be all you would need. It would be bright and simple.

pt-xhb10-hs-store.jpg

PT-HS series Oval Truck Light with Hard-Shell Connector | Oval Lamps | Truck Tail, Brake, & Turn Fixtures | Truck Lights & Lamps | Truck/Trailer | Super Bright LEDs

The third brake light from a Suburban/Yukon/Jimmy/Blazer appear as though they would fit the exterior of the CJ hardtop. Run the wiring down the channel that the hardtop interior light wiring runs.

A lot of your Foreign cars third brake lights are mounted right to the back glass. They have two brackets that are bonded to the glass to hold the light. Wouldn't be to hard to use on of those.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom