Timing Cover ID help needed.....

Timing Cover ID help needed.....

project74

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 304v8... purchased 8/8/11
I have the timing cover taken off my AMC 304 (black one). dont know if it was THE original? part number 3179067 2A
I have bought a timing cover with the same part number execpt different suffix (blue one) 3179067 CAV 6 (possibly from a wagoneer 360)
Thought they were the same but upon looking...the timing indexes are different?
on black one R10.......... on blue one TDC
..................TDC...........................A10
..................A10............................20
which cover is correct for my 1974 CJ5 AMC 304 Renegade ?
The only timing covers I see in the catalogs look like the blue one???
What problems would I have if I used the blue one with different timing marks from the black one I removed? Blue one is in better condition, all bolt holes line up...
any feedback is helpful. Thanks, Ed see pic below

Last edited:
They look different to me....castings are different.
I would be suspicious of one or the other. They are both obviously AMC V8 timing covers, I guess you could try fitment and see what happens. My concern would be oilpump shaft tolerance with the dizzy. Have you swapped pump gears with the new one yet?

Hi Cjim7,
Oil pump gears transfer fine, bolt holes line up with block and waterpump, the only difference I can see is the index marks and the horizontal barrall shape directly over the index on the blue one...not on black one...It has a hole thru it as if a pointing devise would fit in there?
I dont want any issues with setting correct timing....was hoping someone would know for sure which casting numbers was correct for my 74-AMC 304 ?

The blue one would be the correct one, IIRC they changed the timing castings in 75. The blue one is the same as the one one my 73 AMC 304 . Other than the timing marks they are the same.

O.k., Upon looking at these further I see that the timing indexes are different but the same as far as clock position, so I decided to use the blue one because it was in better shape...but...I have just noticed two very bad cracks in the side of the cover that go all the way thru the edge and other side.....can you say SCRAP!
Guess I'll use the black one unless a better one comes along.
Thanks to all who responded.
Ed

BCD_3957.jpgHey

BCD_3958.jpg

project74...
I have the exact same issue. I have an additional issue. I dont know what year my 360 came from. To complicate it even further, the heads came from one engine and the block came from another.

If anyone wants to give imput on this, I'd be thankful....

I actually have 4 timing covers to pick from, but can effectively choose between the two different styles, same as you did. All appear to be in good condition.

BTW: How did the black one work out?
Did you have any timing issues??

thanks
brian

Hey jeepboy45,
I ended throwing the blue cover out, installed the black one. I have yet to fire the motor. I have rebuilt all mechanicals with engine, Transmission , transfer, axles, brakes, fuel system....but am now cutting into body to repair rust panels...I might get to turn it over by spring...just gonna keep rotating crank once in a while until then.
Ed

thanks for responding project74...

I'll try posting on a new thread and see who pops up..

good luck with the rest of your project and please keep us informed when you finally decide to turn the key... Everyone gets excited when another Jeep breathes to life again!!

brian

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom