Build Thread Tire and Rim Weight?

Build Thread Tire and Rim Weight?

Wayne7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
(1)A white 1961 CJ5, T-90 transmission, Dana 25 front axle, Dana 44 rear axle (2 piece), Dana 18 transfer case.

(2) A silver 2009 Santa Fe, 241 hp, 5 speed auto trans, leather, sun roof, adjustable driver seat, exc stereo and avg 25 mpg.
Hi All,

What was the size of and weight of tire and rim that came on a 1961 CJ5 , when it was new in 1961?
My 61 CJ5 has 33" Pro Comp A/T on her and I think they weigh about 80 lbs.a wheel. Is that too much weight for my front axle Dana Spicer 25 ? Cheers wayne7

I'm not sure why you would wonder?
A 33" tire does weigh more than a stocker, yes, but its unsprung weight/rolling mass. Once the engine gets it up to speed, its good to go. Braking, on the other hand, is a whole 'nuther matter. :)
My old '47 flattie had 33" tires and steelies on it, and it did fine (much better than the Transmission . and transfer cases I kept blowing up! :))
The only way to really tell the weight for sure is to take a wheel/tire off and put it on your bathroom scale.

The only way to really tell the weight for sure is to take a wheel/tire off and put it on your bathroom scale.

I did that once...and my (ex)wife walked in on me and asked if I was putting it on a diet :wtf:

:laugh: I think I'd take the scale outside to the tire...My bride thinks I'm crazy enough...

:laugh: I think I'd take the scale outside to the tire...My bride thinks I'm crazy enough...

I did LOL....took the scale out to the garage. She just happened to have a preminition so she "checked up on me" :D

Don'cha HATE it when they do that?

Guys, You have to keep those little jeep chicks involved in the project, and take them for a scenic drive on Sunday, that way you can wheel all day Saturday.

Q. What the best way to sound proof the firewall and floor to reduce the engine and road noise? Cheers wayne7

Hi All,

What was the size of and weight of tire and rim that came on a 1961 CJ5 , when it was new in 1961?
My 61 CJ5 has 33" Pro Comp A/T on her and I think they weigh about 80 lbs.a wheel. Is that too much weight for my front axle Dana Spicer 25 ? Cheers wayne7
There are 2 issues here: unsprung weight (suspension) and axle strength.

The Dana 25 isn't a very big or strong front axle. It should handle a 33 inch tire but I wouldn't go too much bigger than that. A bigger tire will cause more strain on your differential and could cause breakage in your dana 25.

The weight of the tires is a different issue from the diameter. While a large diameter tire will cause more strain on your differential. a heavy tire and wheel will be more unsprung weight. This will cause a harsher ride. Independent suspension can handle more unsprung weight only because the suspension itself weighs less (the differential doesn't have to go up as the tires go over bumps).

If you put heavy tires and wheels on your CJ5 it will give a harsh ride but then again, you should never expect a Cadillac ride from a 1961 CJ5 .

If you put large diameter tires on your CJ that is a bigger concern than the weight. Tall tires may break your differential or it's gears. That's more of a concern than heavy tires that may give a harsh ride.

Thanks Busa! I'll check that product out. Q. Your CJ5 in the picture, is that the same jeep in Yahoo images for CJ5 's? It's setting in a field of green grass, what a beautiful machine!! Cheers wayne7

Wayne just a helpful hint. When you want answers to another question its best to start a new thread or use the search option. Not everyone is as dilligent as Busa Dave. :D
Guys, You have to keep those little jeep chicks involved in the project, and take them for a scenic drive on Sunday, that way you can wheel all day Saturday.

Q. What the best way to sound proof the firewall and floor to reduce the engine and road noise? Cheers wayne7

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom