Tough finding gears during shift...

Tough finding gears during shift...

tewasch

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
I have 2 1981 CJ5's. One is 4-Cyl, 151 (California Model). The other used to be the same, but I converted it to an all-electric 4WD CJ-5.
I have an SR4 transmission on a 1981 CJ5 which I had professionally rebuilt. I have probably 70 miles on the new transmission. When I shift (push in the clutch and move the shifter lever), it is a challenge finding the new gear location. I get it close and then sort of vibrate the shifter handle left and right to get it in. I have another 81 CJ5 with the same transmission that shifts in and out of any gear like butter.

When I installed the rebuilt transmission, I poured gear-oil into the SR4 access hole (on the side) until oil came out and I did the same at the upper drain hole on the rear of the transfer case.

Question. Is this something that is normal for a new rebuild? Is it possible that there is some lubricant in the shifting mechanism that may be missing?

Tom

I think I would go back to the shop you had rebuild it and have them check it. Hopefully they gave some sort of warranty.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks