Tranny axle or transfer case problem

Tranny axle or transfer case problem

travis565

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj5
chevy 350 swap, holley 600, edelbrock intake, headman headrs, accel hei coil. 4 inch lift, 35 x 12.50 x15 Goodyear , stock gears In model 20 rear and a Dana 35 front
dana 20 transfer case
3spd transmission
stock axles and gears
model 20
dana 35
I took my jeep out for the first time 2 days ago and i dont know a whole lot about 4 wheel drives. I was with a buddy of mine who has a commander with a hemi in it. He approached this incline and motored right up it with no prob when i came to it f
My jeep stalled out which i mad another post about but when i got it cranked and tried to go up it my jeep refused. I have what i believe to be the Dana 20 Transfer Case and a 3 speed Transmission . It has 35's on it wih im sure stock gears. Not the way i would hAve done it but i bought it this way. Now when i tried to go up the incline with a lil bit of pedal pressure it sounded like something was slipping either the drive shaft on the rear or maybe the Transfer Case ? It was loud enough and shaky enough that i thought for sure something was broke. But it wasnt. I tried going again thinking maybe the Transfer Case popped me outnof gear but it did the same thing. The jeep still drives fine and will lock in and drive in 4 lo and 4 hi and 2. I didnt know if i should swap out the gears or go withthe treraflex low gear setup. Im not sure of the problem. I can take a guess but maybe one of you are able to get me in the general area.

The only thing that can really "slip" in your drivetrain is your clutch and it may be nearing the end of its life. To check it pull your Jeep up against a tree or other immovable object, put it in 3rd gear and let out the clutch if it still runs or you can rev it, the clutch is shot. Everything else in your drivetrain is gear driven and will break, not slip.

Bush

I agree with buuushman, there nothing to slip but the clutch, unless you have an auto than it could be slipping. (please finish filling out your jeep info)
A tera low kit is always a good idea though. But not your problem.

Well hopefully it isnt the clutch it has a brand new centerforce in it. I wonder, my linkage is sloppy for the Transfer Case i wonder if maybe it isnt getting all the way into gear. Worth a look i didnt think of that. But as far as clutch goes it is holding strong

clutch holds fine, checked the linkage and there was a bolt run through the top where the stick connects to the linkage and it was backed out. pushed it back through the whole shift and mount downside is is that the bolt isnt long enough to put a nut on it and its to long to pull out without dropping the Transfer Case . and also that fixed the 4 wheel engage problem, the noise was it wasnt getting in gear fully. but i wasnt getting power at the wheels still so i pulled the hubs and the passenger side was all good but took the driver side off and holy :dung: it was missing all the internals. so there is the culprit now to buy a new set of hubs. any suggestions it has warn premium on there now didnt know if there were better ones or if those are the best?

The Warn Premiums are good. I would just put those back in there.

Check with warn, you use to be able to buy parts for them.
If one is still good maybe just repair the other one and save a few bucks.

Cool inpreesh guys ill let ya know what happens

Honestly that's what it sounds and feels like. Like the teeth are slipping. Any recommendations as far as a descently priced replacement? Locks in now I replace the hubs so that seems good now but I'm sure the drive shaft will :dung: out soon tho. Just empty every pocket is coming true lol. It's no biggie just getting all the bugs worked out. It's worth it having the jeep!

trust me i know what it is like to have the jeep break, fix it, drive it two times and something else breaks. but if you like working on it there is no better feeling then when it is running good and your out cruising around in it the hit that dirt road that leads to some fun 4wheelin.

Yea man I agree with ya on that for sure!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom