tranny id and oil change

tranny id and oil change

rzide

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 304 v8 auto.
I am unsure of what Transmission I have. it is a 3 speed auto mated to an AMC 304 v8. I know the engine is not original but have no clue what Transmission it is. After i figure this out how do i change the oil? what oil should I use and how much? sorry I'm a newbee :confused:

I am unsure of what Transmission I have. it is a 3 speed auto mated to an AMC 304 v8. I know the engine is not original but have no clue what Transmission it is. After i figure this out how do i change the oil? what oil should I use and how much? sorry I'm a newbee :confused:
Auto Transmission don't have a drain plug like a standard you have to pull the pan to drain it. It can be a real mess.

can it be done by someone who is mechanically declined? the mess aside?

Do you have Qudratrac? If so then it should be a GM GM Turbo 400 . You can take it to a quickie lube and have them do a flush and refill or do it yourself. If you do it yourself you won’t get all of the fluid out of the converter but it will be the best you can do. Most likely the pan doesn’t have a drain installed (OEM never came with one) so to get the fluid out you have to loosen the pan to drain it which can be a bit messy. I think the GM Turbo 400 uses Dexron III but check the dip stick as it may say what to use. When the pan is off change the filter too.

Search Transmission types on the drivetrain forum. Good database with great pictures.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Qudratrac is a full time 4 wheel drive Transfer Case . Look inside your glove box and see if there is a big knob in the back. If the case is stock then the label around the knob will say QuadraTrac on the top, Emergency on the right, and 4 wheel drive on the left, or at least something to the effect. If the Qudratrac system has been converted to a part time system (after market) you should have lockable hubs on the front axle and the sticker in the clove box should have a new sticker placed over it that says 2 wheel drive on the left and 4 wheel drive on the right.

i have a T-150 3 speed and i do have to drop the pan to change but to get around dropping the pan i use and old mud flap as a trough/funnel to drain the tranny. and if you go to the novak website they have a pretty user friendly way of identifying different trannys in jeeps

79CJBogger- I assume you mean the skid plate as a T-150 doesn’t have a bottom pan. The pan under discussion is the bottom pan on the automatic Transmission . Still a 3 speed auto or manual so it can be confusing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom