Tranny ID

Tranny ID

Niedhogg

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains

'76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..
I thought I might have a T-18 in my '76 CJ5 , but now I have to wonder..

I got in it today and was rowing through the gears, and if I have a 4-speed then reverse seems to be missing.. from the tanny ID link from BusaDave, there's a pic of a T-15 with a Transfer Case and shifter that looks identical to my shifter layout in the Jeep, but it's said that it was up to '75 for these trannys.. several things are baffling me on this CJ, most of the reseach from various sites have said the AMC 232 i6 was dropped in '76, but my emissions sticker says it's a AMC 232 i6 .. PO seems to think it's a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .. PetesCJ doesn't mention the AMC 232 i6 in his CJ5 thread from '76 on up either.. These pics kinda suck..
View attachment 10920

View attachment 10921

View attachment 10922
What do I need to look for on engine and tranny ID?

Last edited:
If possible you need the numbers off of the top and/or the numbers on the side of the Transmission . The length of the tranny, adaptors if any, and what it is bolted to would also be of help. Sounds like a PO may have done a power train swap.

Through 1978.

Jeep Engine: AMC 232 I6

Decode your VIN number to find out what it originally came with.

Need better photos for the tranny. :confused:

I got in it today and was rowing through the gears, and if I have a 4-speed then reverse seems to be missing.. from the tanny ID link from BusaDave, there's a pic of a T-15 with a Transfer Case and shifter that looks identical to my shifter layout in the Jeep, but it's said that it was up to '75 for these trannys.. several things are baffling me on this CJ, most of the reseach from various sites have said the AMC 232 i6 was dropped in '76, but my emissions sticker says it's a AMC 232 i6 .. PO seems to think it's a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .. PetesCJ doesn't mention the AMC 232 i6 in his CJ5 thread from '76 on up either.. These pics kinda suck..

I pulled this off anther forum , maybe it will help not sure its for amc motors so I was told , but I cant confirm this info . I also was told that the cj;s had the AMC 232 i6 between 72 to 78.
here is a link to some info http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/amc232.html
Engine build code is located at the center, upper right side of the engine block , The Engine Code consists of six (6) digits with either alphabetical or numerical characters, and may be interpreted as follows: FIRST DIGIT / Year...4 = 1971 ...5 = 1972 ... 6 = 1973. SECOND and THIRD DIGIT / Month ie 01>12. FOURTH DIGIT / Type... A = SIX-AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Single Bbl. Carb 8.0 To 1. B = Six-AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Single Bbl Carb 7.6 To 1 L/C (low compression). E = Six-AMC 232 i6 Single Bbl Carb 8.0 To 1. F = Six-AMC 232 i6 Single Bbl Carb 7.5 To 1. FIFTH and SIXTH DIGIT / Day of Month

Last edited:
Im not sure what happened there but when I did the write up the AMC 232 i6 was in there as stated from 72 to 78. Under the heading "General information" there is no information. :eek: Somehow stuff got deleted or wasnt posted properly in the first place. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and Im sorry if the abscense of info confused you. I'll work on cleaning this up this week . Again sorry and my humble apology.

PetesCJ doesn'tmention the AMC 232 i6 in his CJ5 thread from '76 on up either.. These pics kinda suck..

:)Niedhogg,

Either the Ford or the Jeep versions looks, large , tall and some what narrow & heavy. Casting numbers drivers side , Jeep T-98 early then 1301-xxxx later and on the Ford version all 1301-xxxx Both were made by Borg Warner........PTO on drivers side Jeep PTO on Pass. side Ford. Reverse on the Jeep's over & up beyond 3rd gear, On the Ford version early like the Jeep and late over & down beyond 4th gear.
Good Luck!
:D:D:D:D

I pulled this off anther forum , maybe it will help not sure its for amc motors so I was told , but I cant confirm this info . I also was told that the cj;s had the AMC 232 i6 between 72 to 78.
here is a link to some info Jeep Engine: AMC 232 I6

Engine build code is located at the center, upper right side of the engine block , The Engine Code consists of six (6) digits with either alphabetical or numerical characters, and may be interpreted as follows: FIRST DIGIT / Year...4 = 1971 ...5 = 1972 ... 6 = 1973. SECOND and THIRD DIGIT / Month ie 01>12. FOURTH DIGIT / Type... A = SIX-AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Single Bbl. Carb 8.0 To 1. B = Six-AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Single Bbl Carb 7.6 To 1 L/C (low compression). E = Six-AMC 232 i6 Single Bbl Carb 8.0 To 1. F = Six-AMC 232 i6 Single Bbl Carb 7.5 To 1. FIFTH and SIXTH DIGIT / Day of Month
Ok, this can help.. I did get a pic of this tonight, I just hope we can see it..
View attachment 10935

Im not sure what happened there but when I did the write up the AMC 232 i6 was in there as stated from 72 to 78. Under the heading "General information" there is no information. :eek: Somehow stuff got deleted or wasnt posted properly in the first place. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and Im sorry if the abscense of info confused you. I'll work on cleaning this up this week . Again sorry and my humble apology.
No problem, Pete :notworthy:, I'm just glad guys like you put things like this into forums for people to use.. we're gonna get it nailed down..:D

:)Niedhogg,

Either the Ford or the Jeep versions looks, large , tall and some what narrow & heavy. Casting numbers drivers side , Jeep T-98 early then 1301-xxxx later and on the Ford version all 1301-xxxx Both were made by Borg Warner........PTO on drivers side Jeep PTO on Pass. side Ford. Reverse on the Jeep's over & up beyond 3rd gear, On the Ford version early like the Jeep and late over & down beyond 4th gear.
Good Luck!
:D:D:D:D
I haven't gone so far as to clean it up yet, but I took a few pics.. I think it definately has a Dana 20 Transfer Case , and I see NO adapters in the set up.. I should aslo mention, that I still cannot find reverse, I pulled over and pushed it the other way, and just doesn't want to do anything but an H pattern...

View attachment 10936View attachment 10937View attachment 10938View attachment 10939

Last edited:
This is what I found out decoding your VIN

Year 1976
Plant / Transmission Toledo, 3-speed, Left Hand Drive
Model JEEP®, CJ5 , 84 inch Wheelbase
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) Rating 3750 lbs GVW, models 83, 84, & 93
Engine 6 Cyl, AMC 232 i6 CID, 100 HP
Model Year 1976

Jeep VIN Decoder - Jeepz.com

Thanks!! That explains the inability to find reverse outside the H pattern!

So this thing is pretty much original drivetrain wise.. so which 3 speed is it? The T-150 I guess??

I would guess it is a T-150 since the T-15s were used only with the V8 motors

Well BusaDave's write-up on trannys, says they were used on some inline sixes, when ordered with them up to 75, I was hoping it could be one of those carry-over things into the next year.. but it's unlikely, he also mentions that the T-150 was like the exclusive Dana 20 Transmission ... the shifter input on top looks like it's a T-150 to me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom