Tranny swap Pilot Bushing / clutch

Tranny swap Pilot Bushing / clutch

tvince

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
Well I am picking up a T-176 / Dana 300 tomarrow to replace my T-150 / Dana 20 in a 78 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l If I understand right the 178, 1 1/8 10 spline clutch changes from the 1 1/16 10 spline AMC 150 But will I need to measure the x-mission shaft pilot bushing id and od to get the right one or does anyone happen to know what that might be. I guess the ? is does the 176 and AMC 150 have the same size pilot tip on the main shaft. I'm gonna keep lookin for this info but so far havent looked in the right place.
Also I see both the 10.5 and 11 inch listed for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l AMC 150 setup ? I hope I can get most of this figured out before the swap starts
Thanks

Sorry found my info on Novak

Last edited:
Yeah the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , T-150 has the 10.5 or 11.
I had no Idea on mine till I pulled it out which one it had.
'79 seemed to be an odd year.
I was gonna suggest Novak, they helped me with misc info from
time to time during my rebuild.

x 2 on Novack for the pilot bushing info

The simple thing to do is quick check one of the suppliers - Quadratec, Morris, Jegs - even Omix/Ada - and look up the part number for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /T-150 pilot bearing. Now look up the part number for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /T-176 pilot bearing. Are they the same part number? If they're not, order the one for the T-176 . You'll need it.

Drive the old one out by packing a bunch of grease behind it, then setting a snug-fitting wooden dowel or stick of round steel bar in the pilot hole & smacking it with a hammer. Hydraulic pressure will force the pilot bearing out slick's you please.

Sounds simplistic on the order, but the problem with most conversions is not the stock bushings, but the outside diameter of the bushing that fits the flywheel being the correct size for the inside diameter for the tranny
Novak will give you what size you need for your flywheel and tranny. there for you can order the correct bearing the first time.
5 minutes of research can save you a few hours frustration.

You mean to say that the pocket in the end of the crankshaft is different from one AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to another? Pilot bearings don't have any contact with the flywheel - they fit inside the end of the crankshaft.

I am saying that proper investigation will go a long way when you are under a jeep ready to do something and find out you have the wrong part.
I take nothing under a jeep for granted anymore. At one time I thought I new it all, but not now

Last edited:
Picked up the T-176 / Dana 300 today looks great!
Gonna rebuild the 300 put the 4:1 kit in and double stick it.
Havent decided about rebuilding the 176 yet
And want to replace clutch plate / pressure plate and TO bearing while Im at it
Novak definatly everything you need to know about pilot bushings!.
sure wish I could get the clutch dia before tearing down its been a while since doing any tranny work but does anybody think I might be able to remove the dust cover on the bellhousing and get enough access to measure disk? Would the pressure plate size give any indication?
And then theres the question of the throwout bearing.
is it the same as the AMC 150 and will it fit the AMC 150 fork?
I know worse case I will see when I get the AMC 150 but in case somebody knows.
Spring is on its way want the Jeep down time minimized
enough for now!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom