Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep Cj5 Renegade
I258 1987 Engine
Aisin Warner Ax15 Transmission
Dana 300 Transfer Case
I have a 1980 CJ5 Renegade with a straight six AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , with a borg warner T-4 and a Dana 300 Transfer Case . If i want to change the T-4 to a T-5 borg warner, is there other things I need to consider? Do only certain years work or any T-5 ? I would like to have the 5 speed but want to figure out any complications before I go any get one(and make sure I get the right one)

I appreciate the help!
-Bert

What kind of performance are you looking for from your Jeep. Reason I ask is the 5 spd. is known in the off-road world as a weak Transmission .

No problems man take the T-4 out get a T-5 and they are a direct swap. I already did that to mine you can evan use the same shifter. I was able to use my T-4 as a core on a rebuilt T-5 :chug:

Well truthfully I already have an offroader full size truck and am looking for this to be a little of both but more of a road vehicle. I might jump a few ditches but it will be more a cruiser. I am assuming a T-5 would be just fine for that?

Would any T-5 work, as I search online I see T-5 's from quite a few different kind of vehicles. . . Anything else I need to know?

A T-5 should be fine for what your looking for. I was talking rock crawling and higher horsepower applications like throwing in a V-8. Not sure on other applications but I know its not the same tranny as the world class T-5 in Mustangs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom