Transmission overhaul

Transmission overhaul

BBCJ5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5; AMC 304; dana 30 Transfer case; T176 Transmission; edelbrock carb
I am about try and tackle overhauling my T-176 Transmission . I have the top off and all the gears look to be in good shape. I have the master overhaul kit from 4wd for all the small parts and bearings. Does anyone have any pointers for doing this?

Tear it apart and put it together within a few days of each other. ;)

Do you have a Transmission bearing puller? They make the job a whole lot easier.

I've never torn down a T-176 , but have done a few T-18 's, not sure how similar the guts are. Take pictures of the everything assembled, so if you have a question on how things go back together you can reference your pictures. :chug:

Print out one of those exploded view pics of the T-176 also. Lay everything out in order on a large enough and clean work area.

build a stand to set it on, something to keep it upright and stable and at a comfortable height. It makes it so much easier than letting it roll around on the bench or , worse yet , the floor.nothing fancy, a flat place for the rear mount to set and a place to bolt the front face to keep everything level. I used a 2x4 sheet of 3/4 ply wood, two 2x4 blocks and a piece of 1x6.
So much easier than wrestling with it.
The rear bearing takes a bit of work and a sort of special puller, just avoid the urge to work on it with a hammer.
There are several good web sites covering the rebuild.
pay special attention to the preload shims at the rear of the primary shaft.
It is not rocket surgery but do your home work.
If your going to look at the TC , as long as you have it off, I recommend the same idea. The TC has no flat surfaces to lay it on.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom