Transmission Question

Transmission Question

jdooles

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
70 CJ5 bone stock still. V-6 Dauntless, 3 speed manual, like i said, all stock...for now.
I am looking at buying a used T-14 to replace the Transmission in my 70 CJ5 . The Transmission I had was also a T-14 , now my question is there any difference from 1970 and a 1972 T-14 ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long read, this is taken from Novak's site. It looks like as long as you arent trying to use one from a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 to a AMC 232 i6 /AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or vice versa, you are ok. The input is different.

The Novak Guide to the
Borg-Warner T-14 Transmission

The Borg-Warner T-14 is a lighter-duty, three-speed Transmission , introduced in the 1967 CJ5 and C101, and was offered in Jeeps up through 1975. The T-14 was found only behind the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 engine until 1972, when it was provided as the base Transmission for the AMC 232 i6 and AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 engines.
Features

The T-14 is a top loaded, top shifting Transmission using a cane shift lever.
The T-14 is fully synchronized in all forward gears and all gears are helically cut. It uses sliding clutch collars in lieu of sliding gears as found in other, earlier Borg Warner three speeds.

Identification

The T-14 Transmission is 9-11/16" long and features a cast iron top cover that is retained by six bolts. The main case is of cast iron. The case itself has two protruding bosses as provisions for side-shifting actuators, however, no known Jeep side-shift applications are known.

All T-14 transmissions have a 1-3/16" x 10 spline output shaft for mounting the Transfer Case input gear (or Overdrive barrel gear). The T-14 was the only Jeep Transmission to feature this distinctive spline configuration.

The T-14 may have the following casting numbers: T-14 , T14AA or 1302 and these are typically found on the passenger's side.
Make: Borg-Warner Gear
Length: 9-11/16 "
Weight: 80 lbs.
Case: Cast Iron
Top Cover: Cast Iron
PTO Ports: none
Gearing: 3.10, 1.61, 1.0, Rev. 3.10

Jeeps also had a T-86 Transmission available with the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 from 1966-1969. It was similar in form and appearance, but its casting numbers will differentiate it from the T-14

There are two versions of the T-14 to note, depending on its year and mating engine. All early Dauntless Buick 225 V6 T-14 's used a different input shaft/gear than the later AMC 232 i6 & AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l T-14 's.

The T-14 and T-15 are similar in designation, and visually somewhat similar. However, the T-14 did use a three-bolt front bearing retainer whereas the T-15 used a four-bolt front bearing retainer.

Transfer Case Compatability

The Jeep T-14 was factory-married to the Jeep Dana Spicer Model 18 Transfer Case , and only the large (4") input bore versions.
T-14 was available attached to the Jeep Dana Spicer Model 20 Transfer Case in the 1972-1975 Jeeps.

The T-14 always used a 10-spline transfer input gear. An informative chart of these gears can be found here. Care should be taken when ordering adapters for transmissions replacing these 10-spline gearboxes.
Engine Compatibility and Adaptability
The earlier T-14 had a 1-1/8" x 10 spline input shaft (or "clutch shaft") and its pilot tip is ~19/32" in diameter. Later AMC era T-14 's had the same spline configuration, but the pilot tip increased in size to ~3/4" in diameter.

GM

The T-14 used a standard Buick bellhousing from 1967-1970. It used a factory bellhousing adapter in cast iron during these years and a special input bearing retainer. It is also possible to adapt the T-14 to a variety of GM bellhousings with our T-14 adapter assembly.

While it is mechanically possible to marry many GM bellhousings to this adapter, stronger upgrade engines can be overwhelming to the T-14 , as it is a lighter-duty gearbox.

In 1971, AMC cast a special Buick bellhousing that was deeper, and machined to match the T-14 's native front bolt pattern. This unique bellhousing also used a special cable clutch release.
AMC 232 i6 & AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

The 1972-1975 Jeeps with the AMC I6 had its own, dedicated bellhousing to the T-14 . This was a deeper bellhousing (~9") than the standard AMC bellhousings that would be released in 1976.

Appreciate the info, as much as i've been on Novaks site lately i'm surprised i hadn't found that myself. The good thing is if I decided to buy that Transmission , which is from an inline six, Novak offers a pilot bushing that would fix the issue, thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom